Aggressive Brahma

nancas1996

Hatching
Jan 11, 2020
Our girls have been together since chicks. 2 birds only
Brahma is pecking other chicken to point of holding her down. They used to walk the yard together, no problems. (free range) We have a heated coupe for those unexpected cold snaps, central Texas.
This started around 1st cold snap. Brahma is in chicken tractor separate from other bird. We are not noticing any change in behavior, seems to be worse. The victim is white meat bird, I know weird combination but they were friends until recently.

Our girls have been together since chicks. 2 birds only
Brahma is pecking other chicken to point of holding her down. They used to walk the yard together, no problems. (free range) We have a heated coupe for those unexpected cold snaps, central Texas.
This started around 1st cold snap. Brahma is in chicken tractor separate from other bird. We are not noticing any change in behavior, seems to be worse. The victim is white meat bird, I know weird combination but they were friends until recently.
Can you post pictures of them? Is the Brahma a cockerel? You really should get another Brahma pullet as the meat bird is not likely to live very long.

No heat should be needed even in cold weather in TX. Feathered birds should be able to withstand temperatures in the teens and below if they are out of the wind. How old are they? Do you have any pictures of the brahma? Are both hens or could one or both be cockerels?

Do they go out to free range? I would try to get a couple more chickens to keep with the brahma. Do you plan on butchering the meat chicken? They suffer from many health problems after they are mature, around 6-8 weeks old. Leg and heart problems are common. For now, I would lock one of them in a crate with food and water.

Can you post pictures of them? Is the Brahma a cockerel? You really should get another Brahma pullet as the meat bird is not likely to live very long.
Thank you, both are hens. Treated like pets. Their coupe is off ground, regulated with thermometer for inside temp. The "meat bird" is producing eggs. Brahma is not/did this summer. They are about 1 year in age. It is just strange all sudden not getting along. They have free range in backyard, until now. Rotate girls for free range. Will keep separated....

Back
Top Bottom