Aggressive gosling... any goose experts have a suggestion?

TopHatsNSpats

In the Brooder
6 Years
Apr 8, 2013
Central/Western Oklahoma
OK, I have never had geese before, so I am totally out of my element. I have had chickens and ducks since forever, so I figured how different can it be, right? Uh, now I know better... Let me explain what is happening, and maybe one of you guys that has had geese for a while can offer me a suggestion.

My son brought me several eggs for Mother's Day, they were goose eggs and timing was right to hatch on Mother's Day but dear boy didn't think to ask what BREED of geese they were (kind of one of those, "You mean there is a difference?" things.) So, we dubbed them the "Mystery Geese," and I put them in the incubator waiting to see that would happen. I got two hatchlings about a month ago. From the very first, I realized these guys were VERY different from anything I have ever raised. For one thing, I *think* they have imprinted on me; do domestic geese do that?? They definitely start calling as soon as they hear my voice. The first day they hatched, they showed me that goslings are a LOT stronger and more developed than any other bird I've ever hatched; they got out of the brooder first thing and were running around on my bedroom floor the first night at about 4 in the morning. I heard them calling frantically, stumbled blearily into the bedroom and saw the lid off the brooder, and thought, oh Lord, I'll never catch them with all the furniture in this room to crawl under. Not so! the minute they heard me, here they come a-running, tumbling around my feet and asking to be picked up!! Never had that happen with any of my other peeps; they might be friendly but not like this, which makes me think maybe they imprinted and think I am Mama. Well, I was there when both hatched, watching intensely both because they were my Mother's Day gift and also because I was curious to see what they are. (Still don't know.) So, I was the first thing they saw when they hatched. At any rate, I have thoroughly enjoyed raising them, right up until today.

This morning when I went out to feed and water, I found that the slightly larger gosling had completely DENUDED the other one, and had beaten it so badly that it was bleeding from several places. It's big leg joint is badly swollen, and blood was dripping steadily from the tip of its left wing. I never heard a scuffle, but they have been moved out to the garage once they got past the initial intensive broody situation, so it must not have been loud enough to hear indoors. There was blood all over the bigger one's beak so I know it was him/her that did it, plus this is in an enclosed garage in town so predators are not really an option. They were in a pretty large pen with plenty of feed and water, so it wasn't about resources. To be honest, I didn't actually think the smaller one would make it; it was really groggy and weak when I brought it back in the house to put it in the 'bird hospital.' Now, as I said I have had a lot of other birds, and one thing I have noticed with injured birds is that isolation initially might be fine, but if you keep them isolated for long they don't do as well as they do if you give them a friend to help them recuperate. So, I had only one baby Golden Lakenvelder make it from my last hatch out (about a week old) and it was kind of lonely too, so I put the single hatchling Lakenvelder in with the gosling, and that seems to have been the right idea, because the little one is up and perky now, eating and drinking where when I first brought it in, it showed no interest in its surroundings. The orphan Lakey seems happier to have a roommate too. On top of that, we found an orphaned duckling this morning (long story) and I put the tiny new baby in with them too. I was afraid the feral bird might refuse to eat, but the small gosling has taken the baby duck 'under its wing' so to speak, and the three of them are all doing well for now. In fact as I type this they are all cuddled together under the broody lamp asleep.

I am in hopes that the worst has passed with the injured one, and I think it's going to make it now, but here is my question: Any ideas what caused the bigger one to suddenly decide to try and kill its sibling? They have always been affectionate to one another before now, preening each other and etc, I have never seen any aggressive behavior until today, so this came as a pretty severe shock. Is this a common thing with geese, or is this unusual? Not to mention, the bigger sibling is now crying inconsolably because it is all alone, but darn it I am afraid to put anything else in with it after seeing what it did to its little brother/sister! Anybody have any suggestions? I really like both of these guys and I do intend to keep them but kind of worried about re-introducing them (certainly not until the little one is healed up and strong.) The difference in size between the two is not great, but apparently it is enough. And what can I do for the now-orphaned sib, who may start pining if I leave it isolated? I don't really want to lose either of them. Should I put one of the decent-sized 3 mo old chicks in with it that could probably hold its own, so it won't be all by itself, or should I leave it by itself for now? Is there some management trick that I missed? Does breed matter? All I can tell you is they are not China Whites; because they are brown above and yellow below, they look kind of like African babies or maybe Toulouse? They look more like the pictures of those goslings than they do like Embdens plus Africans are pretty common here.
Any help would be appreciated, and I'll be happy to supply more details if you think it would help.
idunno.gif

I don't think the other goose was actually trying to kill it- it may have gotten carried away trying to pluck his feathers out though. I have had them start to pick at eachother to the point where one will have a bloody bill. What worked best for me this year was celery. Whole stalks - toss them right in the brooder. Keeps them busy and they learn to chew on green stuff, not each other. A "tether cabbage" is also a good distraction.

Seems like the picking issues go away as soon as they are big enough to be outside full time. At least for me they are.

Thank you both for the wonderful suggestions! Goose and Fig, I had been chopping up the greens I gave them for fear they would choke; it never occurred to me to give them a toy like a stalk of celery or a 'tether cabbage.' Makes perfect sense. And I am relieved to know this is not terribly abnormal; I'd really like to keep both of these guys and add them to my 'private flock' (the ones that get the run of my garden, made up of all my favorites.) And Miss Lydia, I can also put the lonely larger gosling where she can see the other when the injured one is a bit better; I am in hopes they will eventually be OK together. As for that one, it is now thriving with the attention of her two roommates. The tiny orphan duckling has clearly adopted it as a 'mother' figure and is following it around, I saw it drink this morning, have not seen it eat yet but I believe it is doing so, so perhaps it will make it. The injured gosling for its part, is being very solicitous to the baby. I think the Lakenvelder chick is a bit disgusted with all the kissy-kissy going on, and tends to stay to itself looking on disapprovingly, but she does bed down with them at night so at least she is not all alone. I pulled out a tiny Cochin baby about her size to put with her, so she can have a more normal chicken-ish interaction since the loveydovey stuff seems to put her off, while the two waterfowl seem to be thriving with the mutual attention. :)

Thank you both for the wonderful suggestions! Goose and Fig, I had been chopping up the greens I gave them for fear they would choke; it never occurred to me to give them a toy like a stalk of celery or a 'tether cabbage.' Makes perfect sense. And I am relieved to know this is not terribly abnormal; I'd really like to keep both of these guys and add them to my 'private flock' (the ones that get the run of my garden, made up of all my favorites.) And Miss Lydia, I can also put the lonely larger gosling where she can see the other when the injured one is a bit better; I am in hopes they will eventually be OK together. As for that one, it is now thriving with the attention of her two roommates. The tiny orphan duckling has clearly adopted it as a 'mother' figure and is following it around, I saw it drink this morning, have not seen it eat yet but I believe it is doing so, so perhaps it will make it. The injured gosling for its part, is being very solicitous to the baby. I think the Lakenvelder chick is a bit disgusted with all the kissy-kissy going on, and tends to stay to itself looking on disapprovingly, but she does bed down with them at night so at least she is not all alone. I pulled out a tiny Cochin baby about her size to put with her, so she can have a more normal chicken-ish interaction since the loveydovey stuff seems to put her off, while the two waterfowl seem to be thriving with the mutual attention. :)
Sounds great they have found a friend of their own kind. Keep us updated when you put them together again.
fl.gif
and so funny how they all behave.

Well, so far so good... they are right next to each other and 'talking' through the fence. They want to get back together, and I will probably let them once the smaller one's feathers all come back in. All of the chickens we put in with the naked one to keep it company are still buddies, but we lost the little wood duckling. Ah, well, I was afraid we would; it is often hard to get the wild ones to eat. But, the other two are fine and the smaller one has healed from the injuries and most of the feathers are coming back now so hopefully we can put them back together soon.

Well, so far so good... they are right next to each other and 'talking' through the fence. They want to get back together, and I will probably let them once the smaller one's feathers all come back in. All of the chickens we put in with the naked one to keep it company are still buddies, but we lost the little wood duckling. Ah, well, I was afraid we would; it is often hard to get the wild ones to eat. But, the other two are fine and the smaller one has healed from the injuries and most of the feathers are coming back now so hopefully we can put them back together soon.
I think you will be able to also, give them things to chew on besides each other, hang a head of cabbage or head lettuce in with them, they have to nibble so give them something to do. Sorry to hear about the ducklings but great news about the gosling.
thumbsup.gif
keep updating .

OK, new question: I have come into possession of a new African brown gosling, about the same size as these two young Mystery Geese. (One thing I can definitely rule out: These are not Africans, they look nothing like this guy!) The African is about the same size as the other two. Do you think it would be wise, once I let the other two back together, to introduce all three at the same time so that there is no 'new guy in town,' and nobody gets picked on? I am thinking very seriously about letting them all together in the larger pen with my Call ducks, who are very tame and easy going, and are fully grown but slightly smaller than them at the moment. Afraid if I let the geese get much bigger they might not get on well with the ducks. Does that seem like a sound plan, or am I asking for trouble? Oh, and I added a hanging cabbage heart in with each of the geese, along with their chopped greens, and they love it. Thanks for the suggestion! The biggest Mystery Goose has started stalking flies; it will sit there almost motionless, and wait for the flies to settle on the feeder, and then snatch them off. Funny little guys!

Last edited:
OK, new question: I have come into possession of a new African brown gosling, about the same size as these two young Mystery Geese. (One thing I can definitely rule out: These are not Africans, they look nothing like this guy!) The African is about the same size as the other two. Do you think it would be wise, once I let the other two back together, to introduce all three at the same time so that there is no 'new guy in town,' and nobody gets picked on? I am thinking very seriously about letting them all together in the larger pen with my Call ducks, who are very tame and easy going, and are fully grown but slightly smaller than them at the moment. Afraid if I let the geese get much bigger they might not get on well with the ducks. Does that seem like a sound plan, or am I asking for trouble? Oh, and I added a hanging cabbage heart in with each of the geese, along with their chopped greens, and they love it. Thanks for the suggestion! The biggest Mystery Goose has started stalking flies; it will sit there almost motionless, and wait for the flies to settle on the feeder, and then snatch them off. Funny little guys!
I'd fall over if my gander went after a fly, he won't even touch dried mealworms and my goose loves them, I think your idea is a really good one especially putting them all into a new area at the same time. now whether they will get along with your Calls is something you'll have to watch for, my ducks and geese get along fine out in the open property but I don't think I'd want them all penned together, but since yours are still young it may work, all you can do it try. Glad the cabbage worked. also a loose head of Romaine lettuce is a big hit. I also have 3 drakes and a gander it doesn't make for good companions. let us know how it goes,

Thanks Miss Lydia. The outside pens are pretty big, and they get turned out into the yard every day when I am home to watch them. I try to make sure there are nesting boxes, clumps of weeds, big water tubs, etc for them to be able to get away from one another and to provide interesting stuff for them to do rather than pick on each other. When I put birds together, I am always watchful for several days to make sure they get along OK, it's just this is my first foray into geese. Wasn't sure if they would acclimatize like my chickens and ducks always have, or if there were any special considerations with geese.

Back
Top Bottom