Aggressive Hen

Rcorrell

In the Brooder
Apr 7, 2020
Hi everyone! I’m looking for some advice. I’ve had chickens for a little over four years but this is the first time I’m adding to my flock. We have two chickens that have been around for four years and we recently added six more and two ducks. We’ve been keeping the new flock separated within the run for a week now and today I let everyone mingle for the first time just to see where we were at. Our oldest ISA Brown hen (Big Red) was super nasty, she would run and peck the new girls. I know some pecking is normal so I just let them go at first. I finally separated them again when she went after the ducks. She chased them all around the run and would rip feathers out if she caught them. Our other older hen would peck here and there but it was clearly normal pecking rather than aggression. I know it sometimes takes several weeks to integrate new hens into your flock but I’m just looking for any suggestions from anyone who has more experience doing it. Am I just being impatient and an over reactive chicken mama or should I be concerned that Big Red is going to be a trouble maker?

Hm. My grandma always just threw the new hen in the coop and let them sort themselves out. She never had more than 4 hens though.

Photos of your set up would help. How big is the run and the coop? How many feeders are available?

I just recently finished integrating chicks in and having ample space and hiding spots is key in reducing aggression issues: https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...egrate-along-from-feed-store-to-coop.1617102/

This is a photo of the run space. When I can’t keep an eye on them the newbies are separated from the two older ladies. The eight ladies have a total run space of over 100 square feet plus free range space for part of the day. When I separate Big Red from the rest of the flock, everyone gets along just fine. She’s sort of holding up the integration process. If she wasn’t so aggressive, there wouldn’t be a need for separation at all anymore.
I was recommended chicken glasses and assured that they won’t hurt my girls but I’m not totally sold on the idea.

Attachments

• IMG_9765.jpeg
    IMG_9765.jpeg
    966.6 KB · Views: 4
This is a photo of the run space. When I can’t keep an eye on them the newbies are separated from the two older ladies. The eight ladies have a total run space of over 100 square feet plus free range space for part of the day.
8 + 2 ducks, so you're at max capacity for the run and unfortunately integration favors having excess of space, in large part because it allows for clutter to break up the space and hiding spots. Example, here's some of the "stuff" I have sitting around that allows chicks (or lower ranked birds) to duck around and behind things anytime they get chased.

2024chicks07.jpg

When I separate Big Red from the rest of the flock, everyone gets along just fine. She’s sort of holding up the integration process. If she wasn’t so aggressive, there wouldn’t be a need for separation at all anymore.
Have you tried separating out the aggressive bird for a few days, let the others get used to each other, and then putting her back in? Hard to say how long she'd need to be in "time out" but that's another approach some folks try.

8 + 2 ducks, so you're at max capacity for the run and unfortunately integration favors having excess of space, in large part because it allows for clutter to break up the space and hiding spots. Example, here's some of the "stuff" I have sitting around that allows chicks (or lower ranked birds) to duck around and behind things anytime they get chased.

View attachment 3822738

Have you tried separating out the aggressive bird for a few days, let the others get used to each other, and then putting her back in? Hard to say how long she'd need to be in "time out" but that's another approach some folks try.
Right now we have seven ladies in that run. We have a separate area for our other three because they’re still too little. I do have some things for them to play with/climb on in the run but I have everything along the sides to leave open space in the middle. Do you think it’s better to place things around in the middle so they can get around them to hide?

Also if I separate big red, what should I do for her to lay eggs? I feel bad that she can’t get to the nest boxes. Can I just put a box with some bedding with her so she can lay eggs more comfortably?
Sorry if that’s a dumb question/concern, this is a new process for me.

Do you think it’s better to place things around in the middle so they can get around them to hide?
Yes, absolutely. Nearly all my clutter is pulled away from the walls so younger birds can use the space between clutter and wall as escape routes. Layout of my run from 2021 (the space between item and walls is deliberate):
obstacles2021.jpg

Also if I separate big red, what should I do for her to lay eggs? I feel bad that she can’t get to the nest boxes. Can I just put a box with some bedding with her so she can lay eggs more comfortably?
She will simply lay them wherever you have her housed, i.e. if she's in a dog crate she'll just lay them on the floor. If you have enough space wherever she's separated you can try putting in a nest box but she may completely ignore it.

Back
Top Bottom