Air cell at the little end - day 11 **update!**

LilRalphieRoosmama

Officially Quacked
12 Years
Oct 15, 2007
Elyria, OH
I just candled our duck eggs and out of 25 eggs, one had the air cell at the little end. I have them in racks little end down in a Sportsman incubator. Everything seems to be developing normally on this egg but when I put them in the egg cartons at hatching time, should I put it upside down so the air cell is at the top? Won't it be in position to pip at the wrong end?
hit.gif

Last edited:
I have a Silkie egg with the same problem. Due to go into lockdown on Saturday, so I'll let you know what happens. It seems to be developing fine just the other way round so would presume it'll know which way to pip, hopefully
fl.gif

Oh yes - please do let me know how your hatch goes!
fl.gif

We took it out of the rack last night. DH cut an egg carton to hold it so we could lay it on its side on the turning rack. Hoping for the best.

Ok so it's on lockdown I've not put it in anything special just on its side the way the others are. When I candled it was very active so hope fully it'll find the air sac, but who knows
hmm.png
Will keep you posted
fl.gif

Well 3 went to lock down and they all died before pipping
hit.gif
I think it was more to do with humidity problems then down to the air cell I did an eggtopsy and the chick was in a good position so hopefully you will have better luck
fl.gif
I ordered 6 Muscovy eggs to cheer myself up and the only one that didn't have a badly ruptured air cell had it in the small end too
th.gif
I've set it. I can't believe it, I don't think I've ever had one before these two!
smile.png

hugs.gif
I am so sorry. I wish you better luck with the next one. Ours go on lockdown Tuesday and that's when I'll candle it one last time. Will let you know how it goes.

To update: the egg hatched just fine. We hatched 20 out of 23 runner duck eggs and I have no idea which one it is but all are ok. We layed it on its side and the air cell moved from the little end over the top of the egg. The duckling pipped out just fine, with no help at all.
yippiechickie.gif

Back
Top Bottom