BethBerry

In the Brooder
Aug 18, 2020
Hi,
I’m incubating eggs in an incubator for the first time. The temperature has been consistent but the humidity has been from 30-70% in the last 2 days despite me trying to regulate it to between 45-55%. It’s day 13 and I’ve taken a picture of a couple of my eggs and I was just wondering if anyone could tell me if the air sacs are the right size (as I have nothing to go off).
Thanks for any help you can provide!
Beth

Attachments

• 82CBCA0E-F6C3-4989-98E7-6A184BE0EAA5.jpeg
    82CBCA0E-F6C3-4989-98E7-6A184BE0EAA5.jpeg
    267.8 KB · Views: 25
  • 752EC030-98FB-4203-A062-6FA2A73F5092.png
    752EC030-98FB-4203-A062-6FA2A73F5092.png
    3.2 MB · Views: 12
Hi,
I’m incubating eggs in an incubator for the first time. The temperature has been consistent but the humidity has been from 30-70% in the last 2 days despite me trying to regulate it to between 45-55%. It’s day 13 and I’ve taken a picture of a couple of my eggs and I was just wondering if anyone could tell me if the air sacs are the right size (as I have nothing to go off).
Thanks for any help you can provide!
Beth
Welcome to BYC! They look good. Have you salt tested your hydrometer to check accuracy? What kind of incubator?

Welcome to BYC! They look good. Have you salt tested your hydrometer to check accuracy? What kind of incubator?
Hi,
I salt tested the hydrometer and it was 5% off so that’s factored in. I ordered a brinsea one but it was delayed in arriving so I’m using a ‘womdee’ one from amazon at the moment. Thanks!

Hi,
I salt tested the hydrometer and it was 5% off so that’s factored in. I ordered a brinsea one but it was delayed in arriving so I’m using a ‘womdee’ one from amazon at the moment. Thanks!
Ok! Thats perfect. Good job. :highfive:
Your air cells look maybe a touch big, but they're fine. I never worry about my air cells, unless they're really small. Yours look good though.

Ok! Thats perfect. Good job. :highfive:
Your air cells look maybe a touch big, but they're fine. I never worry about my air cells, unless they're really small. Yours look good though.
Thanks :D I’ve been so worried. You’ve put my mind at ease!

Thanks :D I’ve been so worried. You’ve put my mind at ease!
No problem. I know it's stressful.
Also, you don't need to touch them with gloves. Washed hands are fine. But it's a good precaution. 👍

HI, sorry I'm hijacked your post, but it's my first time trying to hatch some eggs and I am worried my aircells are too small.
This are some pics of them when I candledat 13 days ( we are on day 15 now)
IMG-20200826-WA0004.jpg
IMG-20200826-WA0006.jpg

HI, sorry I'm hijacked your post, but it's my first time trying to hatch some eggs and I am worried my aircells are too small.
View attachment 2306442View attachment 2306443

Those air cells do look a bit small. In your situation I'd lower the humidity if you can until day 18-19 or when you see signs of a first internal pip.

I'd probably run dry from here to help the air cells grow. I'm not sure how low is too low but I haven't had any ill effects from humidity going as low as 19% myself. Good luck!

View attachment 2306442View attachment 2306443
Yeah, they look small. What has your humidity been at? Lower it to around 25% until lockdown. I'm assuming you have a salt tested humidity gauge in there? And have you checked the temp with a calibrated thermometer?

Yeah, they look small. What has your humidity been at? Lower it to around 25% until lockdown. I'm assuming you have a salt tested humidity gauge in there? And have you checked the temp with a calibrated thermometer?

HI MGG, as this is my first time and didn't have time to buy an incubator I rented one. They gave me a hydrometer and instructions on what to do and when to add water. I have a second thermometer and used that to set the temperature right in the incubator, but didn't find about the humidity salt test until two days ago, when I started stressing about the size of my air cells and realized it seems off by at least 10%.
I've removed all the water from the incubator and it's reading 32% now which should really be a 40% or so.
As tomorrow will be day 17 I'll candle my eggs again to prepare them for lock down and hope that the air cell has grown enough.

Back
Top Bottom