ALABAMA!!

Hi, y'all! I am in Coffee County, between Elba and Brantley on Hwy. 189.
Two nights ago we had some excitement. One of our chicken houses was on fire. Fortunately we were able to put it out. The seven silly birds in it did not try to get out. They are afraid of the dark. The next day I realized that the cord of one of the heat lamps had been chewed probably by a squirrel and had shorted out, setting one of the posts on fire. Amazingly I did not find an electrocuted squirrel in the vicinity. Mystery! Anyhow, the chickens are fine and the house is still OK. I'd like to catch and relocate some of the squirrels (there are a lot of them) but none of the baits I tried worked. I might end up having to shoot some of those bushy-tailed rats. Everyone tells me they are excellent fried and smothered in gravy, but I am not too sure I want to eat rodents that are probably full of fleas, ringworms, botfly larvae, and ticks.

The weather was warmer but very windy here in Arab. What's everyone planning for the near future? We are going to be working on new breeder pens, a large grow-out/batchelor pen, and a goose pen.

I live down the mountain from you, in Laceys Spring! I am currently trying to reconfigure my flock, as I've lost three of my hens to a fox. Now there are too many roosters and yesterday someone drew blood on the only one I want to keep. Anybody nearby need a very pretty lavender orpington roo? I have two that I need gone. And also two humongous 'rescued' Cornish cross meat birds that are 9 months old and probly too tough to eat! (maybe. I only got them by accident and I've never raised meat birds before.)

Attachments

• _20190104_155357.JPG
    _20190104_155357.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 3
I live down the mountain from you, in Laceys Spring! I am currently trying to reconfigure my flock, as I've lost three of my hens to a fox. Now there are too many roosters and yesterday someone drew blood on the only one I want to keep. Anybody nearby need a very pretty lavender orpington roo? I have two that I need gone. And also two humongous 'rescued' Cornish cross meat birds that are 9 months old and probly too tough to eat! (maybe. I only got them by accident and I've never raised meat birds before.)
Well hello neighbor! There ARE others here in no man's land. Lol. No, I unfortunately don't need another roo right now.

Back
Top Bottom