Alfafa seed sources??

Arielle

Crowing
8 Years
Feb 19, 2011
Massachusetts, USA
Does anyone know of a source of organic alfalfa seeds in small quantity--25 pounds or so? I"m concerned the foraging chickens will happen upon the see and parttake of them so I thought organic might be best.

Those aren't organic. I have seen organic alfalfa and other forage seeds at our farmers market for $6/2 oz. Alfalfa is extremely hard to maintain in organic status. If you don't spray for weeds and bugs, your crop will be decimated by the second year. It would have to be raised indoors in a controlled setting.

I do know a local farmer who raises organic grass seed locally but he doesn't even try with alfalfa.

I'm looking to seed pasture-- maybe organic won't work.
hmm.png

The chickens will help control the bugs and weeds in a pasture environment. In fact the pests found in a normal field crop of alfalfa makes for a richer pasture for the chickens.

The chickens will help control the bugs and weeds in a pasture environment. In fact the pests found in a normal field crop of alfalfa makes for a richer pasture for the chickens.
WHen looking at alfalfa, I see a number of varieties, 1 maybe 2 (from one company) might work in the Northeast. Perhaps other leugmes as well-- clovers and another vegetation that looked like clover but had another name.

So I figure you are saying, feed the bugs, then the bugs feed the chickens. Now I need to feed grass hoppers and what else??

The way I see it is that you are planting the pasture to feed the chickens. The chickens will have to defend their food from any pest that wants to try to eat their food, if that pest becomes a treat, so be it. There are some plants meant for ground cover, that look like clover. Some of them aren't the best for foraging. Best to ask the seller what it is intended for. As to the original question. If you keep them off the area until the alfalfa is established whether the seed was treated becomes moot. Better for the young tender alfalfa and what ever else you plant as well.

Yes the look alike clover was included as forage as that was the premise of the the other seeds offered , so I figured this other one was as forage also.

I think alf grows really large-- perhaps the leaves are still tender enough to much on for a chicken. Good point to keep live stock off until established.

Back
Top Bottom