All advice for raising ducklings please

Pics
Ugh at least 33 hrs since the first pip. This is sooo hard!!!! I am getting soooo nervous but keep reminding myself that they can take 48 hrs..... Thinking the chicken egg that just pipped my hatch before any of the ducklings. Lol. How do people do this all the time????

Hopefully all is fine but if no duckling by 11 am tomorrow do I candle for veins then assist??? I checked a bit before 8am yesterday and nothing, got home and had a pip at 11. So latest it pipped was 11 am yesterday.
I’m trying to keep up
External pip within the air cell can take 24-48 hours
External pip missing the air cell is 48-72 hours
We have to add that time needed to fully absorb
After the time has gone then candle
You don’t want ti rush hatching
Babies born with yolks still can pass easy
Some make it but many don’t
Chicks are much faster
I just hatched 6 and it was like I blinked abd they were out.
I usually hatch ducklings so use to long waits 😆

I’m trying to keep up
External pip within the air cell can take 24-48 hours
External pip missing the air cell is 48-72 hours
We have to add that time needed to fully absorb
After the time has gone then candle
You don’t want ti rush hatching
Babies born with yolks still can pass easy
Some make it but many don’t
Chicks are much faster
I just hatched 6 and it was like I blinked abd they were out.
I usually hatch ducklings so use to long waits 😆
I knew 48 hrs. So far the 3 pipped are in the air cell. I know from chicks not to rush them .. thinking I should have started hatching ducks then I would be used to these long times and a chick would seem speedy. Instead I started with chicks and hatched a ton so those seem normal and these darn ducks feel like YEARS!!!! LOL. Even a chick that takes close to the 24 hrs feels like forever since most of mine are 12 hrs or under. Lol. I had a chick with my last hatch that hatched on its own before it fully absorbed the yolk!!! Never had that before, I didn't assist at all just boom there was a chick with the yolk sac. I tried everything to save it and it lived 4-5 days then passed. It was so sad. I have assisted a few but if anything I am overly cautious with veins etc. most times I do just enough to know the chick can breath and hopefully push out and I leave it to do the rest.

Doesn't help a friend of mine just hatched ducklings just about a week ago. They were due to hatch last Sat, so the wed before she went to put them into lockdown and found external pips on a bunch by Thurs she had a few ducklings...... So I was hopeful. Nope not my luck, mine will take the full 48 hrs. Lol

My husband was just laughing at me for just watching for the eggs to do anything, pip, zip, wiggle etc. I just stood there staring at them. 🤣😂

I knew 48 hrs. So far the 3 pipped are in the air cell. I know from chicks not to rush them .. thinking I should have started hatching ducks then I would be used to these long times and a chick would seem speedy. Instead I started with chicks and hatched a ton so those seem normal and these darn ducks feel like YEARS!!!! LOL. Even a chick that takes close to the 24 hrs feels like forever since most of mine are 12 hrs or under. Lol. I had a chick with my last hatch that hatched on its own before it fully absorbed the yolk!!! Never had that before, I didn't assist at all just boom there was a chick with the yolk sac. I tried everything to save it and it lived 4-5 days then passed. It was so sad. I have assisted a few but if anything I am overly cautious with veins etc. most times I do just enough to know the chick can breath and hopefully push out and I leave it to do the rest.

Doesn't help a friend of mine just hatched ducklings just about a week ago. They were due to hatch last Sat, so the wed before she went to put them into lockdown and found external pips on a bunch by Thurs she had a few ducklings...... So I was hopeful. Nope not my luck, mine will take the full 48 hrs. Lol

My husband was just laughing at me for just watching for the eggs to do anything, pip, zip, wiggle etc. I just stood there staring at them. 🤣😂
I totally get it
I watch my eggs like a tv program
I encourage everybody to start with ducks
This way chicks are a breeze 😂
I have 4 emu eggs in a bator and it’s driving me crazy
Can’t candle
I’m at 28 days and that’s only half way

I totally get it
I watch my eggs like a tv program
I encourage everybody to start with ducks
This way chicks are a breeze 😂
I have 4 emu eggs in a bator and it’s driving me crazy
Can’t candle
I’m at 28 days and that’s only half way
Yikes no way I could do Emu!!!!! I have watched lots of videos on them!!! But they are so cute! Can't wait to see them when they hatch!!!!

Have 5 duck eggs pipped, 3 chicken and everyone just hanging out.... Lol. Maybe I will play some peeping sounds to encourage them.

7 pips on the duck eggs and I think 4 on the chicken eggs.

@New duck mommy 2021

Do ducklings normally pip a few times or make pip hole bigger? Like longer not the same spot. I know chicks can sometimes have a tiny one then hit same spot and make it bigger but once they start going next to the hole etc is normally when they start zipping. The first one still hasn't hatched, at about 45 hrs from when I saw it but could be 48, but I noticed there is a section cracked off of the pip but it isn't zipping. Not sure if that is normal or of maybe it is stuck and can't spin to zip. Including a pic of the first pip and how it looks now.

Attachments

• IMG_20240501_104333952_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20240501_104333952_HDR.jpg
    283.1 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_20240503_073754619_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20240503_073754619_HDR.jpg
    291.6 KB · Views: 3
7 pips on the duck eggs and I think 4 on the chicken eggs.

@New duck mommy 2021

Do ducklings normally pip a few times or make pip hole bigger? Like longer not the same spot. I know chicks can sometimes have a tiny one then hit same spot and make it bigger but once they start going next to the hole etc is normally when they start zipping. The first one still hasn't hatched, at about 45 hrs from when I saw it but could be 48, but I noticed there is a section cracked off of the pip but it isn't zipping. Not sure if that is normal or of maybe it is stuck and can't spin to zip. Including a pic of the first pip and how it looks now.
They often make a second hit 8-12 hours later
But a big hole in one area tells me bsby can’t turn to zip
Candle the egg looking for veins. You can tell when they are gone
Baby will have moved enough you can see into the egg
Don’t candle the air cell go along the egg
If all clear make a zip from where it first started it’s hit
Pull the cap back and let baby push out
If the leg is over the head you may need to take a little shell off from above its head so it can push out

Yikes no way I could do Emu!!!!! I have watched lots of videos on them!!! But they are so cute! Can't wait to see them when they hatch!!!!

Have 5 duck eggs pipped, 3 chicken and everyone just hanging out.... Lol. Maybe I will play some peeping sounds to encourage them.
I have 2 baby emus as well
They were not planned before the eggs were bought and started in the bator
Long story on them
They were hatched on a slippery surface and injured themselves
The lady didn’t want the hassle so she passed them to somebody else who tried but they got worse
I then took them and got my vet to help
They made such improvements but a growth spurt happened abd meadow ( the bigger one ) had ti be put down
So the lady I got my eggs from has a lone baby 2 weeks younger
She gave him to me so ocean wouldn’t be lonely abd baby river would also have a friend
Ocean isn’t doing good now that her big growth happened
Her leg can be moved back into position but as soon as she puts weight on it goes to the side
We did splints for 3 weeks and now my vet said let her try without
It’s not looking good but she is happy , strong , eats like a champ and can run really fast with a sideways leg
In time this will take a toll as she gets bigger
For now we are letting her enjoy life abd giving lots of love 💕
When her quality of life is no longer there we will have to do what’s right
At least she knows she is loved and adored
She cries to be held and cuddles right in

Attachments

• 3FA4E87D-8B86-4297-B9E9-3105D8755DCA.jpeg
    3FA4E87D-8B86-4297-B9E9-3105D8755DCA.jpeg
    586.6 KB · Views: 2
  • 31320941-6EC9-4BCB-8009-E600568FC8EA.jpeg
    31320941-6EC9-4BCB-8009-E600568FC8EA.jpeg
    584.6 KB · Views: 2
If the leg is over the head you may need to take a little shell off from above its head so it can push out
Ok thanks. The one I made the safety hole in did the 2nd pip which I figured was normal. The first one did too but then there was the other one just slightly over but not zipping. Off to go look for veins.

I have 2 baby emus as well
They were not planned before the eggs were bought and started in the bator
Long story on them
They were hatched on a slippery surface and injured themselves
The lady didn’t want the hassle so she passed them to somebody else who tried but they got worse
I then took them and got my vet to help
They made such improvements but a growth spurt happened abd meadow ( the bigger one ) had ti be put down
So the lady I got my eggs from has a lone baby 2 weeks younger
She gave him to me so ocean wouldn’t be lonely abd baby river would also have a friend
Ocean isn’t doing good now that her big growth happened
Her leg can be moved back into position but as soon as she puts weight on it goes to the side
We did splints for 3 weeks and now my vet said let her try without
It’s not looking good but she is happy , strong , eats like a champ and can run really fast with a sideways leg
In time this will take a toll as she gets bigger
For now we are letting her enjoy life abd giving lots of love 💕
When her quality of life is no longer there we will have to do what’s right
At least she knows she is loved and adored
She cries to be held and cuddles right in
Awwww poor babies. But yes at least they have the love and are enjoying life! They are just soooooo cute!!!

Ok I don't see any at the front part of the egg but at the pointy end there are some. I know when chicks hatch there are still veins in the egg so are these the normal veins?

Attachments

• IMG_20240503_084646852.jpg
    IMG_20240503_084646852.jpg
    253 KB · Views: 2

Back
Top Bottom