All-around Naturalist Thread

What do you like to observe and learn about?

• Total voters
Pics

PioneerChicks

Naturalist
Sep 4, 2019
Idaho -- currently roadschooling
My Coop
My Coop
Here's a thread for all Naturalists to chat in! If you like any of the following than you are welcome:
  • Mammals
  • Insects (and spiders),
  • Reptiles
  • Birds
  • Fish
  • Amphibians
  • Any other living creatures
  • Plants (houseplants count!)
  • Fungi and bacteria
  • Hiking and cool scenery (not exactly in the naturalist field, but whatever)
  • Chickens and other poultry (why not?)
  • Anything else in nature!
What do you like to observe and learn about? Pictures? One of your favorite or most embarrassing experiences?

Here's a thread for all Naturalists to chat in! If you like any of the following than you are welcome:
  • Mammals
  • Insects (and spiders),
  • Reptiles
  • Birds
  • Fish
  • Amphibians
  • Any other living creatures
  • Plants (houseplants count!)
  • Fungi and bacteria
  • Hiking and cool scenery (not exactly in the naturalist field, but whatever)
  • Chickens and other poultry (why not?)
  • Anything else in nature!
What do you like to observe and learn about? Pictures? One of your favorite or most embarrassing experiences?
Awesome!! So excited! BTW. Their should be an "ALL OF THEM!!!" section for pple like me :gig

I am a birdwatcher, but I observe all other living things too (though I'm still a bit tentative about spiders)! Currently I'm in an insect craze!

I enjoy photography hiking, and being alone in nature.

One of my most embarrassing moments was when I was taking a picture of a bird in my neighbor's tree when a construction but working there came around the trees and saw me. I just turned and pretended to photograph the leaves near me. Not a repeat experience!

One of my coolest was when I find a little beetle stuck in some ice where he must have been overnight. He had a little air bubble near his head and was moving, so I cracked the ice and watched over him for a while. At first he moved super slowly (like slow motion!) but once he warmed up he went back to normal.

One of my favorites was when me and my friend were birding in a pond reserve, and we saw a Northern Pintail (a type of duck)! We both started hopping up and down and quietly screaming. The pintail was so graceful and remarkably big!

I participate in eBird, iNaturalist, and NestWatch.

1615925548930.png
A pair of House Finches

1615925589834.png

Unknown plant

1615925617384.png
Some adorable type of stink bug!

1615925748627.png

Black-capped Chickadee

Same here! What is your favorite?
I love hoses, but also like observing smaller mammals such as gophers etc. Lizards even! I find observations of animals so awesome! I'd have to say my favorite is anoles, where I live they are quit common and I am intrigued by their fighting. I think its kinda funny to watch two males trying to push each other off a tree in front of a female. I think its really neat. You?

I love hoses, but also like observing smaller mammals such as gophers etc. Lizards even! I find observations of animals so awesome! I'd have to say my favorite is anoles, where I live they are quit common and I am intrigued by their fighting. I think its kinda funny to watch two males trying to push each other off a tree in front of a female. I think its really neat. You?
I love horses and lizards too! I've never seen a gopher, but I have seen their bikes and lots of voles and mice! I've never heard of anoles, what are they?

I like birds, insects (especially beetles!), and ants best!

What is one of your favorite experiences?

I love horses and lizards too! I've never seen a gopher, but I have seen their bikes and lots of voles and mice! I've never heard of anoles, what are they?

I like birds, insects (especially beetles!), and ants best!

What is one of your favorite experiences?
Let me think, ill get back to u on the favorite experience! That's hard🙂
This is the type of anole common to my area, the common green anole (can change Colors)
)
IMG_20201111_100347_kindlephoto-259295211.jpg

That's not a very good pic, I took it in my yard ill find a better one

This one is not common to my area but still an anole
Messenger Kids_creation_1612134911070.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_20210227_144302.jpg
    IMG_20210227_144302.jpg
    572.5 KB · Views: 2
Yay! Hello! This seems like a fun thread! I love anoles but sadly don't have any around here. I have fence lizards and whip tails around here! Fun fact: all whip tails are female! They can reproduce! "less-complex organisms—'use all the chromosomes they have' to solitarily produce offspring that are genetic clones, molecular biologist Peter Baumann says. Because the organisms are genetically identical, they're more vulnerable: A disease or an environmental shift that kills one could kill all." (National Geographic)

I've had some similar experiences to yours, PioneerChicks! I was trying to take pictures of the little juncos in a nearby neighbor's bush, then their dogs noticed me and started barking, so the neighbors came out. I pretended to just be walking by. :p I also once found a swallowtail butterfly who had frozen on the road during the night. It looked dead because its wings had been run over by a car and frozen... only its wings were messed up, though. I picked it up(I don't remember why) and when it started to warm up in my hand and start moving I took it home, and obviously named it. :rolleyes: It ended up living a long life without being able to fly... much. One day I took it outside and got excited that it was flying. It ended up crashing in the neighbor's yard. I had to go tell the neighbors that a handicap butterfly had fallen in their yard... it took me like 20 mins to find it's upside down form in the grass. (It was okay, though)

Back
Top Bottom