All Black Barred Rock Chick (Pic) Question

after having a look online it seems barred rock breeding and showing is done differently in the usa than the uk,if im right the roosters you show in america can be what we dont show in the uk light roosters, we only show dark,so from this i think in america it is only light cocks paired to barred hens that get bred resulting in only barred offspring,in the uk it is mixed and matched,to produce show roosters we breed dark barred cocks to barred hens,and to produce show hens we pair light male to barred female,you can get good results pairing light cock to all black hen like the one pictured hope this isnt too confusing

I don't think it would be confusing to anybody that knows a little about barring genetics. I had no idea you did it like that over there.

OP: If you have a BSL pullet, I'd keep an eye on that barred chick--might be a BSL cockerel.

Last edited:
I am absolutely sure I hatched all pure breed barred rock eggs. Some of the chicks are barred and some of the chicks are all black. Can anyone tell me what happened? I am stumped! They are coming up on 6 months old & still some are all black.

I am absolutely sure I hatched all pure breed barred rock eggs. Some of the chicks are barred and some of the chicks are all black. Can anyone tell me what happened? I am stumped! They are coming up on 6 months old & still some are all black.
welcome-byc.gif

If the hens were all barred rocks, one of the roosters was not. If all the roosters were barred, then one was not pure bred (only had one copy of the barring gene) and one of the hens was not barred.

A pure bred barred rooster will have all barred offspring, no matter if the hen is barred or not.

A barred hen will have only barred sons. If the rooster is barred, her daughters will get their barring from him.

So, if you've got solid birds, you didn't hatch what you thought you did.

I've hatched 2 eggs recently. Welsummer X BR = Roo, crossed with BR hen. My rooster was not pure BR. One chick is all black including beak and legs. One is barred. My question is are they still sex linked, and what would be the variety of phenotypes of this hybrid clutch?
You'd probably be better off creating your own thread.

Is it unusual to get an all black barred rock chick? Will it stay this color or develop the barring? Does this have an impact on its gender?
Also one has dark legs and the other light, is it just an old wives tale that light legs are cockerels? I was told these are straight run hens, but I'm afraid of the straggler rooster!
Thank you in advance for your input!

I have one hen plymouth barred rock and one rooster. They had hatched out 3 chicks all were black and white with the head spot and 2 are barred and the third one is completely black wish I could add pics.

this is normal for barred rocks the cockerel used in this breeding was a dark barred rock to a barred hen,the offspring from this breeding will be dark barred cocks, light barred cocks, all black hens, and barred hens,its all down to genes.

To explain this relationship simple genetics is shown. The main factors are the Barring gene (Ba) and the Black gene (Bl) there is no gene carried on the female chromosome and this is shown (_). Males have two male chromosomes, the female one male and one female. Exhibition Barred males (Ba, Bl) and Barred females (Ba,_) are shown this way.

When you pair a Barred male to a Barred female, light males and black females appear in addition to birds resembling the parents. The outcome will be one quarter of each type, Barred male, Barred female, light male (sport) and black female Sport). Light male (Ba, Ba ) Barred male (Ba, bl ) Barred female (Ba, _ ) Black female (Bl, _ )

you can use the all black hen you have to breed exhibition barred birds from this breeding you will get only barred cocks and hens.

[FONT=Droid Sans, sans-serif]how many other barred rocks did u hatch from this it would be interesting to see pics of them now they have aged.[/FONT]
Just the answer I was looking for. All 4 of my barred rock chicks that hatch don't have head spots. Seem all black so far.

Attachments

• IMG_20240504_170713.jpg
    IMG_20240504_170713.jpg
    182.9 KB · Views: 0

Back
Top Bottom