All girls? What are those odds!

silkiechicken

Staff PhD
Premium Feather Member
16 Years
Jan 25, 2007
Everett WA/Corvallis OR
Hatched 6 and they are all 4 weeks old now. 5 are wildtype and have chest spots! My only hope is the white one is a boy. LOL

The little stinkers:

230_quail_at_4_weeks.jpg

They are 5-6.5 ounces, I plan on eating them all in a few weeks!

Just wanted to share :p

Tasty looking quail you got there.

Good to see YOU again. I wasn't sure how many of the oldtimers were still around.
wink.png

The odds of that are around 298.327... to 1. Much better than winning the super fantastic mega power ball lottery, but sometimes it happens.

Take a cardboard box, poke/cut some air holes around the top sides. Put some pine shavings in the bottom, and put the white bird in it and close down the top. Move the bird well away from the rest of the flock, near where you can make a phone call. Then, phone a friend. About 5-10 min. into the conversation, the bird should crow, if it's a roo. This is a modification of beer sexing. let's call it...phone sexing.

Of course, if the bird lays an egg, then you hit the lottery!

All girls? Seems to happen to me all the time, except I get all BOYS!
lol.png
Must be something in the water.
tongue.png

Cute birds!

Last edited:
They look great. I know the two wilds are female for sure
big_smile.png

The white one...look at the vent and if there is a big bump (the bulbous gland) and if you press on it it may foam. That would be your indicator of male.

I don't do quail, but I can do some odds. I think you are just sharing, but if you really want ot know, the odds of six out of six being all female are 1 out of 64.

Odds are just odds, but I once got 7 pullets out of 6 straight run chickens from a hatchery. Even the packing peanut was a pullet. What are the odds of that? 1 out of 128!!!

Hi PurpleChicken!!!! Good to see you!

I was just sharing :p I know the odds are 1/(n^2). These are my first quail and I couldn't help but to share them. LOL

As for roosters, for this bunch, it would really not matter so I'd trade. I have to eat all of them anyway. Why can't my chicken odds be this way?!?

Now that I've passed my preliminary exam, I can spend a bit more time with these little fluffy butts!! I'll coffee sex them. When I talk on the phone, the indoor birds already make a ruckus.

ETA: I looked for the gland, but didn't see one... perhaps a bit too young still. It did poop on me though. LOL

Last edited:
Well pooping is a sign of female.... Hmmm
smile.png

Females poop on me when I sex them. Button quail especially.

Hey you didn't by chance call me yesterday. Someone from Corvallis keeps calling but won't leave a voicemail haha! I am always scared to call back since I owe the university so much
big_smile.png

Quote:
LOL. Maybe that one is also a girl. I'm going to try again at 5 or 6 weeks... unless I end up eating them before I go home for x mas break. I have hid them on our apartment balcony closet... so don't really hear them. I had to put them outside at about 3 weeks because they started to stink up the bird room even with daily cleaning.

It wasn't me calling you from Corvallis... I have a Seattle number so no worries! University is probably asking for donations... U of Washington does that to all their alumini like twice a year.

Back
Top Bottom