All My Chickens..... a coop opera!

How wonderful! 🥰
Hey! Do you think the chick in the second pic is a rooster? I know it’s early but she/he acts so different from the rest and those giant tail feathers! That’s her in the second to last pic as well.. you can see the tail there.
Anybody have a guess? I can usually spot them this young, but I hope I’m wrong 🙏🏻🙏🏻

Hey! Do you think the chick in the second pic is a rooster? I know it’s early but she/he acts so different from the rest and those giant tail feathers! That’s her in the second to last pic as well.. you can see the tail there.
Anybody have a guess? I can usually spot them this young, but I hope I’m wrong 🙏🏻🙏🏻
This chick?
IMG_5813.jpeg

I don't see an overly large comb. The hackle feathers are very hard to judge. The stance does not seem more upright. Right now I would say pullet but you are seeing a lot more of it than I am. Does it have a rooster posture?

This chick?View attachment 3791257

I don't see an overly large comb. The hackle feathers are very hard to judge. The stance does not seem more upright. Right now I would say pullet but you are seeing a lot more of it than I am. Does it have a rooster posture?
Hmmm, not sure. Will pay more attention to that… we shall see🤷🏼‍♀️
Thank you!

That's Specks, correct? My understanding of sexing re: feather growth is that it depends upon the parent lines. Meaning it has to be specifically bread for it. As I recall, Nox (RIP) and Mera had longish tail feathers.

I'm not seeing anything worrisome in wattle/comb development. My sussex ladies did pop those about a month before they started laying....and I think first eggs came at 22 weeks.

That's Specks, correct? My understanding of sexing re: feather growth is that it depends upon the parent lines. Meaning it has to be specifically bread for it. As I recall, Nox (RIP) and Mera had longish tail feathers.

I'm not seeing anything worrisome in wattle/comb development. My sussex ladies did pop those about a month before they started laying....and I think first eggs came at 22 weeks.
That’s actually Velda the Barnvelder… but I’m impressed that you remember their names😄🥰
I might try and get some pics soon… tomorrow we are expecting some big storms so I plan to move them to their section in the big coop on Thursday or Friday! I think they may have mites as they shake their heads a lot! 😩 So hopefully them being able to dust bathe once they get in there that will cure them 🙏🏻🙏🏻🙏🏻

I had a tub in with them for dust bathing but I don’t think it was big enough 🤷🏼‍♀️
Anyway, they are moving out soon🙌🏻
Whodat,,,, consider adding some garden sulfur, to that dust bath mixture. It controls/kills mites and similar creatures.
In my run area (dry protected from wet rain) where mine dust ,, I drop some sulfur into that hole. The next day,, I see that they dusted, and sulfur gets mixed into soil by hens.

Whodat,,,, consider adding some garden sulfur, to that dust bath mixture. It controls/kills mites and similar creatures.
In my run area (dry protected from wet rain) where mine dust ,, I drop some sulfur into that hole. The next day,, I see that they dusted, and sulfur gets mixed into soil by hens.
Where do you get that and is it safe for the babies?
Thank you!

Where do you get that and is it safe for the babies?
Thank you!
Yes it is safe,,, Only drawback with sulfur,,,,,, If you handle sulfur dusted chickens,,, your hands may smell like rotten eggs. That is the smell of sulfur. Washes off easily. :highfive:
The rotten eggs smell is also common in Yellowstone Nat. Park geysers. Yes,,, from sulfur :old
This is the one I am using. It stretches' a long way.
Once you think your mites are well under control,,, then just stop adding to dusting area.
I have discussed this on our state thread in the past. Some individuals place a quantity of sulfur into a sock. Hang the sock in the chicken pop door area. As chickens exit, and enter,, they brush some sulfur onto their feathers. I have not tried that myself. Just into the dusting hole spots.
sulfur..JPG

In case there are no Ace Hardware stores in your area,,, just do a Google search like this, And click shopping tab.
image_2024-04-10_233334140.png

Back
Top Bottom