All My Chickens..... a coop opera!

@BY Bob you might.. or might not appreciate this... I tried integrating the 3Cs today😳... it did not go well!! They were attacked from every angle! 🤦‍♀️
To my disappointment... my darling new group... Minnie, Daisy, Betty, and Wilma... were the WORST!!!!! This was in fact the worst integration I’ve ever experienced!! I mean, they were sought out! Not just a random peck if one got too close... NO, all out assault! 😡😡😡
I was chasing chickens... defending and offending!! It was pretty bad.. I usually integrate at seven weeks... and things usually go quite well as they are still small enough as to not pose a threat but big enough to get away... well, this time I feel they are actually too small to fend off these attacks.. I may have to wait a few more weeks! Uuuggghhh!! Chickens!! Why do they have to be so vicious at times!!
I tried integrating last night during free range and it did not go well at all. Mine are also 7 weeks. They have been in the run together but separated for a couple weeks and they had been out in the playpen on the grass for a few days where the big girls could have jumped in at any time. Zero signs of aggression. Then one of the big girls got into the pen with the littles and everything was fine. We opened up the pen and my barred rock attacked the littles every chance she got. Very taken back and surprised by her behavior. For some reason that made my big girls all fight with each other as well. Not a good day :hmm

I tried integrating last night during free range and it did not go well at all. Mine are also 7 weeks. They have been in the run together but separated for a couple weeks and they had been out in the playpen on the grass for a few days where the big girls could have jumped in at any time. Zero signs of aggression. Then one of the big girls got into the pen with the littles and everything was fine. We opened up the pen and my barred rock attacked the littles every chance she got. Very taken back and surprised by her behavior. For some reason that made my big girls all fight with each other as well. Not a good day :hmm
I give mine limited time together while free ranging for a while and slowly increase the time based upon how things are going. I do it before roost time so everyone separates and goes to bed in their own places at first.

It takes time and patience. You can wind up upsetting the established pecking order as you do this as well as everyone needs to find, and try to hold their place.

I give mine limited time together while free ranging for a while and slowly increase the time based upon how things are going. I do it before roost time so everyone separates and goes to bed in their own places at first.

It takes time and patience. You can wind up upsetting the established pecking order as you do this as well as everyone needs to find, and try to hold their place.
That was my plan but they weren't out 10 minutes before she was on the attack. I will just keep trying, she seems to be the only one so far that is being aggressive at all. The funny thing is that my original flock never really seemed to have a pecking order, I kept close watch to try to figure it out but there was very limited pecking (only ever when treats were given) ever and the only fights were at roost time. The only indication I ever had of order was that my Hazel was always protecting and then she started mounting one of my other hens this spring so I assumed she clearly was playing the rooster part. She only ever mounted the same hen so I assumed she was on the bottom of pecking order.

That was my plan but they weren't out 10 minutes before she was on the attack. I will just keep trying, she seems to be the only one so far that is being aggressive at all. The funny thing is that my original flock never really seemed to have a pecking order, I kept close watch to try to figure it out but there was very limited pecking (only ever when treats were given) ever and the only fights were at roost time. The only indication I ever had of order was that my Hazel was always protecting and then she started mounting one of my other hens this spring so I assumed she clearly was playing the rooster part. She only ever mounted the same hen so I assumed she was on the bottom of pecking order.
It only takes one aggressive hen for the pecking order to become much clearer. They force everyone else to act out as well.

But you could have never predicted this... 🤷🏼‍♀️😞... you can’t beat yourself up over what if’s...
Logic says just this but I'm having some kind of guilt because I waited to suit myself and not have to deal with a rooster. And now 2 who might have lived are dead. 😥 I'll get over it eventually.

Oh, sorry to hear this! Yea.. I guess you never know what they will do.. it’s frustrating for sure!

Bad news. I just posted this on my thread but in case you don't get there @WhoDatChick

I just got notice that there will be no Frizzled Polish coming to live with Phyllis. A dog got into the area where she kept them and killed 12 of the 18 chickens before they could get control of it. I'm both sad for her and myself. I was going to pick them up in the next two weeks. I should have taken them straight run. I could have saved 2 lives maybe. 😭
I am so sorry to hear this, I hope you, the chick's owner, and Phyllis will get through this.
My best condolences go out to you Bob! :hugs :hugs

I wish people would have the smarts to control their dogs!

We have a neighbor who allows their old bulldog to run free in their yard, but their yard is right down the driveway from ours, so when they are out, we can't even safely take our dog out in front of the house much less down the driveway.

It isn't super aggressive, but it can't be trusted, and it will chase anyone near the yard down, and it is an accident waiting to happen because it even chases us while on bikes.

Sorry for the rant, thought I would give a personal experience.

I am so sorry to hear this, I hope you, the chick's owner, and Phyllis will get through this.
My best condolences go out to you Bob! :hugs :hugs

I wish people would have the smarts to control their dogs!

We have a neighbor who allows their old bulldog to run free in their yard, but their yard is right down the driveway from ours, so when they are out, we can't even safely take our dog out in front of the house much less down the driveway.

It isn't super aggressive, but it can't be trusted, and it will chase anyone near the yard down, and it is an accident waiting to happen because it even chases us while on bikes.

Sorry for the rant, thought I would give a personal experience.
I appreciate the rant. Too many people cannot control their dogs.

I can't imagine going through what they went through. Watching it happen and trying to stop it. Not being able to catch the dog. The thought of it is terrifying.

Back
Top Bottom