All My Chickens..... a coop opera!

Oh my gosh… yall are so wonderful! I needed all this and I will return again and again to what @ChicoryBlue said as I will need this reminder. Honestly, I am only okay when medicated🙄 and I am happy when tending to my old gals. I am not happy going out in the yard and to the coop… it used to be my happy place and now it is just dark and depressing 😞 I cannot get the images out of my mind and imagining them frantic😭
Daisy is wanting my attention so I do give her hugs… Minnie seems to have lost her mind cuz when I go in there she starts circling me and then attacks as a rooster would! If anyone could explain this behavior? She was in the nest box the whole time (I’m pretty sure) but I wonder if she is just on defense or is trying to establish herself as the new leader?? She used to just mind her own business, so this is strange. And all of the new ones I am not very close to… they are all very flighty, except for Ducky who is darling. So nothing is the same… there are horrible reminders everywhere! My egg basket is getting empty 😭 and had to buy some eggs🙄
My old gals are not eating very much but seem okay.. Rosemary laid an egg right where she laid after he attacked her. She got wedged between the house and a pole and that may have made her look dead to the dog so maybe saved her life. Maryn and Kelly were together under a bush. I have no idea how they got away! Maryn’s injuries are pretty bad.. Kelly is bruised with a small cut and Rosemary’s are in between. Kelly laid an egg just about an hour after the attack and another one today! Rosemary also laid another egg on Tuesday! Remember, they are five and a half years old so I thought this was strange as well.
If it weren’t for my neighbors and friends I don’t know what I would have done! My neighbor next door was the one who called me… I was out walking. She came when I got here and did all the calling to the pound and talked to the owners for me. My other neighbor Darlene (btw, my neighbors are my friends) came and picked up every hen and put them in bags. Then my friend Cindy came and after she was here Cindy my hen passed away and she got her for me.. she also brought the Vetemicyn. Then my other friend Stacy came with her gun and they brought Cake to the back and put her down.. she was bad😞 Mr. Frank lives next toDarlene and was out with his tractor so he went and dug a giant hole in Darlene’s backyard and my friends brought all the gals there to be buried! I was blessed through it all but the pain does not diminish 😢
All I’ve been thinking about for the past eight months is planning my daughters wedding which is in two weeks! I do not have any thoughts about it as of now. I’m hoping this will pass.
I cannot believe how much I love these crazy birds and how badly this hurts😞😞😞
My heart is breaking for you.
The pain will lessen over time but you will always remember your lovely ladies.
Hopefully eventually you will find joy in them again.
You and your chickens were along with Bob some of my earliest impressions of chicken keeping and the love you had for your birds and how happy you all were together influenced my thinking a lot.
I know it was a horrible attack but I also know that until then they all had a lovely life.
I grieve with you and really wish all the best for your remaining ladies as you all work through the trauma together.
:hit :hugs

You and your chickens were along with Bob some of my earliest impressions of chicken keeping and the love you had for your birds and how happy you all were together influenced my thinking a lot.
I know it was a horrible attack but I also know that until then they all had a lovely life.
I grieve with you and really wish all the best for your remaining ladies as you all work through the trauma together.
Thank you so much RC! It really means a lot for you to say such kind words… you have always been a constant support to me! And I loved how you were always Claudine’s biggest fan❤️😭

Now this is the story all about how
My life got flipped-turned upside down
And I’d like to take a minute
Just sit right there
I’ll tell you how I became the Princess of
some fluffy derrières....

I got my first chicks in March of 2018.... 8 little pullets.. Ruby-RIR... Rosemary-Australorp... Maryn-Australorp.. Kelly-EE... Sunny-BO... Claire-Barnevelder... Kathryn-GLW (have since rehomed her) and Nilky-Silkie (also rehomed)

In March of 2019 I got three new babies... Lilly-LB (she just passed away last week) Mak-CM... and Goosie-SS
In April I got three Cochin bantams.. Cutie, Lil Red, and Petunia that I gave Nilky to raise but they have also been rehomed..
In May of 2019 I got three more babies.... Magnolia (Maggie), Daffodil (Daffy), and Poppy... all EEs

In May of 2020 I got TRUMP-NN (rehomed him yesterday)... Claudine and Clementine-EEs

In August I got The Brady Bunch... Marcia, Jan, and Cindy- OEs

In March of this year.. 2021... I got Daisy-WL... Minnie-BL... Betty and Wilma-EEs

I guess I didn’t really tell how I became a Princess of my chickens but that was just me being funny!
Starting this new thread because my old one was all about TRUMP... well, mostly.. and since he is no longer here I thought I should start a new one.
All are welcome to share in the fun! Plenty of pics to come....
First off i love your name I live on the bayou in Livonia north of BR.

I hope you didn’t get rid of trump because of his name and maybe he was just having a bad hair day?!

Just an idea. So feel free to ignore it. And don’t do this right away, but in some time why not use this thread to post a tribute to all the chickens who lost their lives during that attack.
You could do them slowly, one post at a time, with baby pictures and favorite pictures.
Then we can all remember them and you can relive the happy time memories.
I have done a few of these for chickens I have lost (I can copy some links if you would like to read them) and I found it really helped me get over the loss.

First off i love your name I live on the bayou in Livonia north of BR.

I hope you didn’t get rid of trump because of his name and maybe he was just having a bad hair day?!
Thank you!
And too funny about TRUMP... I did not get rid of him because of that.. he spurred me once and then I was nervous to have him around. Otherwise he was a good rooster. I now have Tony but I am trying to rehome him because there was a dog attack and I am mending some old ladies and I don’t want them to have to deal with that when they rejoin the flock. Would you like to have him? He is beautiful and a very good boy. He is about six months old.

Oh my gosh… yall are so wonderful! I needed all this and I will return again and again to what @ChicoryBlue said as I will need this reminder. Honestly, I am only okay when medicated🙄 and I am happy when tending to my old gals. I am not happy going out in the yard and to the coop… it used to be my happy place and now it is just dark and depressing 😞 I cannot get the images out of my mind and imagining them frantic😭
Daisy is wanting my attention so I do give her hugs… Minnie seems to have lost her mind cuz when I go in there she starts circling me and then attacks as a rooster would! If anyone could explain this behavior? She was in the nest box the whole time (I’m pretty sure) but I wonder if she is just on defense or is trying to establish herself as the new leader?? She used to just mind her own business, so this is strange. And all of the new ones I am not very close to… they are all very flighty, except for Ducky who is darling. So nothing is the same… there are horrible reminders everywhere! My egg basket is getting empty 😭 and had to buy some eggs🙄
My old gals are not eating very much but seem okay.. Rosemary laid an egg right where she laid after he attacked her. She got wedged between the house and a pole and that may have made her look dead to the dog so maybe saved her life. Maryn and Kelly were together under a bush. I have no idea how they got away! Maryn’s injuries are pretty bad.. Kelly is bruised with a small cut and Rosemary’s are in between. Kelly laid an egg just about an hour after the attack and another one today! Rosemary also laid another egg on Tuesday! Remember, they are five and a half years old so I thought this was strange as well.
If it weren’t for my neighbors and friends I don’t know what I would have done! My neighbor next door was the one who called me… I was out walking. She came when I got here and did all the calling to the pound and talked to the owners for me. My other neighbor Darlene (btw, my neighbors are my friends) came and picked up every hen and put them in bags. Then my friend Cindy came and after she was here Cindy my hen passed away and she got her for me.. she also brought the Vetemicyn. Then my other friend Stacy came with her gun and they brought Cake to the back and put her down.. she was bad😞 Mr. Frank lives next toDarlene and was out with his tractor so he went and dug a giant hole in Darlene’s backyard and my friends brought all the gals there to be buried! I was blessed through it all but the pain does not diminish 😢
All I’ve been thinking about for the past eight months is planning my daughters wedding which is in two weeks! I do not have any thoughts about it as of now. I’m hoping this will pass.
I cannot believe how much I love these crazy birds and how badly this hurts😞😞😞
:hugs :hugs :hugs

Time and grace are what you need right now. Your are going to go through the stages of grief. Let them come and work through them as they do. Know that there is hope and life in those that survived. There are things to do to make the coop a place you wish to be again but that is for another time. Grieve for the lost, care for the living, and give yourself the grace to work through it all knowing that there are better days ahead.

:hugs:hugs:hugs

Very well said. :goodpost:

I just wanted to let yall know that a dog got in my chicken yard and killed 12 of my chickens.. 5 are injured and 7 seem okay besides shock. I am devastated and heartbroken.. I can’t even handle this😞 Cindy looks like she is about to die and Cake will have to be culled😭😭😭
The image of them laying everywhere will haunt me.
I feel like I failed them. This is horrific.. I can’t breathe
I am so, so sorry. How utterly awful and traumatic.

Back
Top Bottom