All my chicks are dead

slbenter

Crowing
11 Years
Mar 24, 2013
Dover Tennessee
I hate to post this.
I had 11 chicks in my "chicken room". with the door always closed because I have 2 dogs that don't know about them.
But....i also have a guest room, that connects to a bathroom, that connects to the room that the chicks were in.
I has a bug spray yesterday, and I told the lady from the company that the room the chicks were in was off limits.
Then I went outside and swam in my pool, with my 2 dogs with me.
well, the lady didn't close the door to the connecting room, and I didn't even think to remind her to close that door.
Long story short, my German Shepherd went into the connecting room, through the bathroom, and began to "play" with my 3 week old chicks.
She killed every single one of them.....didn't tear them up. just mouthed them like they were her personal "little balls".
I haven't been this depressed since my husband died 3 years ago.
Just a reminder, that we absolutely have to keep an eye on dogs that don't understand chicks at all times.
My border collie wasn't ever interested in them. I don't remember my GSD even being in the house when I wasn't in there too.
Just a reminder....watch your dogs around your chicks. No matter what.
I haven't been this depressed since my husband died almost 4 years ago now. And though I was severely depressed when he died, all the same grievance came flooding back to me like it did when he died. I know "they're just chickens", but the tape of their frightened little souls just keeps playing over, and over and over again in my mind.

awww, thats so sad, sorry you had to go through that, ive lost alot of good chicken friends myself .. after you catch your breath i say, get some more and start over😉

I hate to post this.
I had 11 chicks in my "chicken room". with the door always closed because I have 2 dogs that don't know about them.
But....i also have a guest room, that connects to a bathroom, that connects to the room that the chicks were in.
I has a bug spray yesterday, and I told the lady from the company that the room the chicks were in was off limits.
Then I went outside and swam in my pool, with my 2 dogs with me.
well, the lady didn't close the door to the connecting room, and I didn't even think to remind her to close that door.
Long story short, my German Shepherd went into the connecting room, through the bathroom, and began to "play" with my 3 week old chicks.
She killed every single one of them.....didn't tear them up. just mouthed them like they were her personal "little balls".
I haven't been this depressed since my husband died 3 years ago.
Just a reminder, that we absolutely have to keep an eye on dogs that don't understand chicks at all times.
My border collie wasn't ever interested in them. I don't remember my GSD even being in the house when I wasn't in there too.
Just a reminder....watch your dogs around your chicks. No matter what.
I haven't been this depressed since my husband died almost 4 years ago now. And though I was severely depressed when he died, all the same grievance came flooding back to me like it did when he died. I know "they're just chickens", but the tape of their frightened little souls just keeps playing over, and over and over again in my mind.
I am so sorry!! 😭 It makes sense to feel grief over your loss. I hope you can recover soon. It was a horrible accident. 💝

I am so sorry about what happened. I know it can wear on your mind. My cats got ahold of a Basque Marrunda chick I hatched, (the only one the did hatch) when I was at work some years ago. It was a big beautiful day old chick that hatched early which made it hard as I do not like to put them in a brooder by themselves. My door of the room had to be propped up and I made sure it was tight so they could not get in. I was wrong. Just like your experience I found the poor thing in the floor of my room no bite marks but just expired So very said and depressing. Accidents happen. Take time to grieve and when you are ready try again. Take care!

Back
Top Bottom