All My Children -- The End of An Era

HHandbasket

The Chickeneer
9 Years
Jun 2, 2010
El Dorado County, California
This Friday, All My Children will air its last episode on network television.

I have been a fan/follower of All My Children for 38 of the 41 years it has been on the air. I have heard they are going to leave many things open-ended. I think that TPTB at ABC Daytime are smoking crack. After 41 years on the air, and millions and millions of long-term fans, that's the best they could do for us, by not wrapping up the story? SERIOUSLY?

I would be a lot more ok with them taking it off the air if they had respected and done justice to the fans by wrapping up the story and giving it a decent ending.

I think it's atrocious that some internet company wants to carry the story online next year and pick up where the network left off. I won't watch it online. I think that's a colossally bad idea in a long, sad history of bad ideas.

The only reason the show tanked is they left Megan McTavish at the head writer's desk too long about 5 years ago, and she developed storylines that could not be undone and completely tanked the show's integrity and un-did long term stories that were landmark stories on AMC from decades ago.

Is anyone else watching this week? I almost hate to watch... I can see Hayward getting away with way too much, and seriously, somebody needs to put a bullet in that guy's forehead.

The Princess is watching
hit.gif
as the ship goes down. Actually, she is more like this:
rant.gif
somad.gif
rant.gif

Yes, that's why they had Lee Meriwether come in and replace her (Mary Fickett) more than a decade ago. Rest in peace, Mary!

Yes, they're continuing the story online, but it WON'T be the same and will have different stories and characters and a different format. It will be unrecognizable as AMC.

That's what I have a problem with. It's a slap in the face to long-time fans who have no desire to follow the "fake" AMC online through Prospect Park.

I can't believe there's only 2 EPISODES LEFT (today and tomorrow).
hit.gif

I think I'm more upset about this than I thought I was gonna be. Ain't that just about stupid? But anything that's been part of your life for 38 years, you miss it when it's gone.

I feel silly, but I'm gonna miss it.

Erica, marry Jackson already!

No matter what some think of soaps, even if they are not your cup of tea, few shows have followings that these do, with 40+ years of continuous story lines with characters that grow and evolve over time. They are tough classrooms for young actors to cut their teeth on, learning many pages of lines for each episode, much different than a one hour or half-hour weekly primetime show. Their replacements leave me scratching my head, that's for sure. It will be odd not to have them on the air after seeing them in their places for most of my life, even when I wasn't actively watching them, they were there.

I just can't believe that they are taking long running soaps off the air for yet another one of those talk,cook,and whatever shows. They are so boring. I hope the network loses a ton of ratings for being so stupid!

There is supposedly one more patient. Since today is the last day, I am assuming we'll find out today who it is.

David's already "resurrected" Maria (years ago), Greenlee (last year), Zach, Dixie, and Stuart... who is the last patient? I cannot imagine who it might be. Dixie's convinced she saw a female patient in the clinic, so who knows?

Watch it not even be a woman at all... watch it be Michael Cambias. Wouldn't that just beat all?

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom