Almost done with coop, Please look at my roost config

barg

Songster
12 Years
Apr 27, 2007
I am concerned about what appears to be the unautorized use of my coop design, and as such, I am removeing my coop from this website until this issue has been resolved.

I am not sure of the details at this time but I have preserved this thread pending further information regarding the matter.

In the mean time my coop can be seen on my PERSONAL PAGE

All rights reserved.

Last edited:
Quote:
Just when I have it figured out.......
I have heard several people say that Flat is better for chickens becuase of the structure of their feet and the way they sit.
Having been a keeper of hookbills in the past and knowing that Flat was the worst possible thing for them, besides too small of a perch and no variety of sizes... I challenged those that said flat was best, and the responce I got seemed logical.
So which is it :eek: Flat or roundish... do they perch or do they Sit on something thats off the ground.
Anytime I challenge someone with more information then I have it is simply to insure that we all understand.. what is the truth.
Thanks for your input.
Let the debate begin... yall with experince can debate this.
I'll just kick back
cool.png
and see who makes the best argument and go with that
lol.png

I'll add,
I was interested to know what people thought of the kinda flat H configuration of the roosts and the space it provides for 4 standard hens, But any thoughts you have in addition to that are welcome. I also wanted to know if the chickens will have any problem getting up to the roosts in this kind of space, or do they need a ladder or step up roost?
Thanks again for your input
big_smile.png

Barg,

My top roost is a 1 x 2 and the do fine on it. It is only 10''s below the peak of coop. I did'nt think they had enough room to get up there but they do. The lower roost is a 1 x 1 and they use it just to get to the top. It looks to me like they will have no trouble getting up there. The books all say they need more room than mine ever use. { they also forgot to read the book as others have stated on this forum} Well in the cooler weather any way its been fine. If it is hot at night they may need the space the books all say they need which is if I read it right, 8" each for bantams and 10" each for standards. Like I said mine have 6 feet on the top roost and I have 7 girls { 2 are bantams } and there is always lots of spare room. We have'nt gone through a hot summer yet?

You could always put a small lower roost if it looks like they are having trouble. How far is your roost from the floor?

Chickens are very adaptable and some times I think we over think things. When we were building my dh was the desision maker on the coop and would say they are only chickens they will be fine with it. He was always right.

PS Don't tell him I said he was always right.lol

I don't know if flat or round is better but here is what I have observed with mine.

I have some in a dog crate that is all wire (so it is open). I have secured large dow(sp) rods across it
for them to roost on. When they are on the rods the will wrap the toes around in much like my cockatial did.

Back
Top Bottom