Alrighty, have a looky please: What am I?

Meloypeeps

In the Brooder
7 Years
Apr 19, 2012
I thought my roo was going to be a Silver Laced Wy, however the more he grows the more obvious he is not going to be. He is still so beautiful, very proud of my roo. But, still would be good to know what he is for fair time when my daughter exhibits him- (he's her bird!) although my guess is he's probably an EE.

"Ain't I a pretty thang?" :-D

Doubtful that he's an EE. No green legs, no pea comb, and I've never seen barring on one. Could your roo be a barred Rock? Cross? He's nice looking.
smile.png

He's very pretty, definitely not a Wyandotte... He looks like a cross between a BR and something, although I am not sure what exactly. Probably not an EE, because EEs are Ameraucanas crossed with a Marans, so no barring there. Very unique! :)

I have two other Barred Rocks, you can see them in the background. Not to happy, I bought THEM at TS as PULLETS. Now I have to make a difficult choice on what to do. Lovelace, the name of this one, is a keeper. The other two Straight Barred Rock "pullets" *rolling eyes*, Speckles and Midnight...I'm not sure what I'm going to do with them. I now have three hens and three roos. Not good odds there!

Wow, I wish chickens wouldn't vary so much between breeds. I had looked at pictures comparing other barred rocks to mine...and I have my husband insisting that they are roos and my mom insisting they are hens. They don't have a rooster body, but they have extremely large combs and waddles. One hen picture I saw had no waddle/comb, so I assumed *sigh*

However, the writer of this lovely article https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/my-backyard-beauties pictured her barred rock hen, which looks exactly like mine.

I guess I will stand again on the side of the hens...and hope I get eggs from them in a few months!

If you mean the barred rocks in your photos, I'm thinking girls. They're more developed comb-wise, but look nothing like my 3 month old barred rock roo. How old are they?

Yep, the barred rocks in my photos..." all born the first week of April, so almost 3 months.

Back
Top Bottom