Am I overthinking this?!

Micmac1234

Songster
Apr 13, 2021
Colorado
Ugh I am stressing myself out over here! I put my eggs under my broody April 29th around 2:00pm. If that was day 1, today is day 21. If that was day 0, tomorrow is day 21. I have heard zero peeping and there’s zero pipping. She’s very dedicated and only leaves the nest once a day to poop and bathe and groom herself, she has water and food by her.

I haven’t candled any of them and now I’m panicking they’re all dead inside. Is this all normal or do I have a right to be worried?

Take a deep breath. April 29th is a Saturday. The 21 days is up on a Saturday. Today is Friday.

An egg does not have a day's worth of development the instant it goes in the incubator so when you are counting you wait 24 hours to say "one". An easy way to check your counting is the day of the week you start them is the day of the week the 21 days are up. You started them on a Saturday, the 21 days are up in a Saturday.

Even with no pipping or peeping???
Yes. Not all eggs hatch at exactly 21 days, whether under a broody hen or in an incubator. There are several different possible reasons for that even under a broody hen. My eggs often hatch a full two days early, I think because of heredity. Some people have had eggs hatch as under a broody hen on Day 25 when they count the days right, but that is pretty rare. Usually if you don't see something by Day 23 you may be in trouble.

I understand your frustration, most of us have been through it in one form or another. But you are not in trouble yet. As far as I'm concerned your best way forward is to do nothing. There is nothing you can do to help at this point but there are several things you can do to hurt.

Last edited:
Take a deep breath. April 29th is a Saturday. The 21 days is up on a Saturday. Today if Friday.

An egg does not have a day's worth of development the instant it goes in the incubator so when you are counting you wait 24 hours to say "one". An easy way to check your counting is the day of the week you start them is the day of the week the 21 days are up. You started them on a Saturday, the 21 days are up in a Saturday.

Yes. Not all eggs hatch at exactly 21 days, whether under a broody hen or in an incubator. There are several different possible reasons for that even under a broody hen. My eggs often hatch a full two days early, I think because of heredity. Some people have had eggs hatch as under a broody hen on Day 25 when they count the days right, but that is pretty rare. Usually if you don't see something by Day 23 you may be in trouble.

I understand your frustration, most of us have been through it in one form or another. But you are not in trouble yet. As far as I'm concerned your best way forward is to do nothing. There is nothing you can do to help at this point but there are several things you can do to hurt.
Thank you so much for taking the time to reply! I’ve never done this before and she was broody last year from April-July so I’m really excited she has eggs this year. We had to buy some since I don’t have a rooster. If nothing happens by Monday I’ll come back here and reply to you lol

Take a deep breath. April 29th is a Saturday. The 21 days is up on a Saturday. Today if Friday.

Still no pipping, I’m still doing nothing…other than worrying of course!

Using a broody hen, it’d be abnormal to have 0% hatch right? I mean they know what they’re doing don’t they?!

Day 23… lifted her this morning and still no pipping. Do I do anything or keep waiting??

Now you can be worried. You've given them a decent chance. Personally I'd wait one more day, then open them and see if I could determine when they stopped developing or why they did not hatch. That's not always easy because there are so many different things that can cause them to not develop or to stop. I'll include a couple of links that might help with that.

Incubation Troubleshooting - Incubation and Embryology - University of Illinois Extension

Trouble Shooting Failures with Egg Incubation | Mississippi State University Extension Service (msstate.edu)

I'm sorry to hear this. I had such high hopes when you were counting the days wrong. I've had really poor hatches in the incubator and under a broody but they are usually bwetter than this.

Now you can be worried. You've given them a decent chance. Personally I'd wait one more day, then open them and see if I could determine when they stopped developing or why they did not hatch. That's not always easy because there are so many different things that can cause them to not develop or to stop. I'll include a couple of links that might help with that.

Incubation Troubleshooting - Incubation and Embryology - University of Illinois Extension

Trouble Shooting Failures with Egg Incubation | Mississippi State University Extension Service (msstate.edu)

I'm sorry to hear this. I had such high hopes when you were counting the days wrong. I've had really poor hatches in the incubator and under a broody but they are usually bwetter than this.
Thank you for the links. I have been reading around and I am in Colorado and ordered the eggs from Washington and apparently low altitude eggs can struggle in high altitude? We’re only 5280 and I believe the eggs were 1300 but I just can’t believe I would have 0 hatch under a broody! Should I try and candle them?

Back
Top Bottom