Am I the only one?

JustDuckie23

Chirping
8 Years
Sep 20, 2012
Central PA
I am a first timer with chickens. I raise ducks and rabbits so this was a new venture. I bought four of the cutest black peeps I had ever seen @ our local farm exchange and just identified them on BYC. Apparently they are black sex links and I was kind of surprised on the comments I viewed regarding them. Mine are INCREDIBLY friendly. Come right up to me when they see me and will even perch on my finger. I hold out my hand and they come running and allow me to handle them and pick them up without any issues. They are by far the most curious things ever and we love them. We also adopted a "white and black speckled chicken" which I have yet to identify who is much more skittish and more aggressive. Hands down...Black Sex Links are the best so far! Am I the only one who feels this way?

ab4a3b6ffa9c5224e8d94f1bf069309e835bf44ada39a3ee5e6b4b0d3255bfef95601890afd80709da39a3ee5e6b4b0d3255bfef95601890afd80709a4b3225a1483568630b9.png
I'm chickenless so I'm not sure on their behaviors but hope to see you down in the duck section
frow.gif

Hello and welcome to BYC
frow.gif
I've raised all my chickens myself and they are definitely friendlier when you got them used to human contact and the benefits that comes with humans (cuddles and treats)

Greetings from Kansas, JustDuckie23, and
welcome-byc.gif
! Great to have you aboard! If a black sex link is a also known as a Black Star, the one I have is my friendliest chicken of any of my mixed flock of 18. I only have a couple flighty chickens to begin with - the rest are quite docile - but the Black Star is more like a pet. The white and black speckled one you have might be an Ancona - they are a more skittish breed. Mine are, that's for sure. Also they seem to be aggressive to the other chickens as you mentioned. Good luck to you!!

My red sex links are the most docile and sweetest birds of my flock... I imagine black star/blacksex links would be the same.... Ive always though that mutts where better than pure bred anyways

I think it is just the luck of the draw. I have a Barred Rock that is really friendly and stands by the back door looking for me, but I have another that is aggressive to the other chickens and only comes to me because she thinks I have treats. All four of my hens have different personalities, even their eggs are different and I can tell them apart.

I have reds also. Got them as started pullets, and they hadn't been handled a lot, so they aren't like pets, but they're not at all aggressive or terribly flighty; they'll come running to check you out when you approach the run, but tend to shy away from being touched...they don't run screaming for the hills, but they'll take a couple steps back. They hand feed very easily and are becoming better at being petted. When we gather the eggs, there's a couple who like to sit on them (they're not "broody" but like to sit there) and will tolerate being petted for a minute or two before they get up and walk away.

If we were allowed, I'd have a lot of different kinds of chickens but for our small urban back yard and egg production and temperament...sexlinks are IMO perfect.

Back
Top Bottom