Ambient temp in brooder (with plate)

Your story cracked me up, I could see it clearly....chicks/chickens hate change so much, it's one of the reasons I love them because I'm the same way!
Me too. I like making a plan and sticking to it. The wife, not so much, if she thinks something is a problem, she just acts. I got frustrated with her last night because she just kept watching them, then moving things around. I had to leave the room.

So I have seen the temps and age charts for chicks. But these charts are usually about heat lamps and the temp or the brooder cage.
We are using a brooder plate. They are currently in a room that has an ambient temp of 70 degrees F +/-.
I want to move them to a room that is always between 52-55 F, no drafts. They will still have access to their brooder plate, but at what age would they be safe to be placed in this temp?
I am struggling to find info on the ideal ambient room temp when using a brooder plate for chicks.
We brood for just the first few days in the cool cellar using a MHP (Momma Heat Pad). The MHP maintains a temp of 102F when a chick presses against it. The temp on the floor under is about 80F. The temp in the far end of the brooder is about 60F.

After a few days, we will move them outside. The only temp change will be the temp away from the MHP. That will likely range from 33F to 60F over the next week.

We brood for just the first few days in the cool cellar using a MHP (Momma Heat Pad). The MHP maintains a temp of 102F when a chick presses against it. The temp on the floor under is about 80F. The temp in the far end of the brooder is about 60F.

After a few days, we will move them outside. The only temp change will be the temp away from the MHP. That will likely range from 33F to 60F over the next week.
Could the same be done with a heat lamp? Our Brinsea doesn't recommend room temps under 55, but we think they want more space now and should move to the coop. Their current room temp is 62. Only one or two sit on the brooder plate at this point.

We placed them all in the run portion and had the coop portion shut off... They would not clam down, panic ensued... CHEAP CHEAP CHEAP, the panicky chirps.
So we then just placed them all in the coop portion of the assembly, instead of the run portion. The coop space is still about 8 sq ft, and they are only three weeks old, so the space is fine. They calmed right down in the enclosed area.
Maybe too much too soon. I'll give them a few more weeks before trying that again.
Chickens hate change. Give them time and opportunity and they'll adjust. I give 2 week old chicks full coop and run access but because they were raised in the middle of all that space it's "normal" to them, and they come and go without issue.

Back
Top Bottom