Ameraucana chick I think

karint

Songster
May 24, 2019
Got this cutie from a bin at the feed store. It said Ameraucana or sapphire olive eggs so I’m pretty sure it’s a ameraucana. It’s suppose to be a girl but more so what I’m curious about is the wings. I’ve never had this that I’ve noticed on chicks. Should I be worried. Also any idea what color she will turn out to be? I’m supper curious.

Attachments

• IMG_3229.jpeg
    IMG_3229.jpeg
    435.8 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_3228.jpeg
    IMG_3228.jpeg
    419.6 KB · Views: 10
I figured when you pick from a hatchery bin you probably won’t get the highest quality like an actual ameraucana but I don’t care. As long as it is fine. Thanks so much for your help. I was starting to worry about its wings.
Would you happen to be able to explain what feather sheaths splitting means and when you think they will or should

I figured when you pick from a hatchery bin you probably won’t get the highest quality like an actual ameraucana but I don’t care. As long as it is fine. Thanks so much for your help. I was starting to worry about its wings.
Would you happen to be able to explain what feather sheaths splitting means and when you think they will or should
When feathers grow, they're incased in keratin sheaths to grow through skin, when they emerge on top, the sheath splits and the feathers barbs fan out.
I'm not sure what to do if it doesn't but chicks are prone to wonky feathers sometimes.

When feathers grow, they're incased in keratin sheaths to grow through skin, when they emerge on top, the sheath splits and the feathers barbs fan out.
I'm not sure what to do if it doesn't but chicks are prone to wonky feathers sometimes.
Ok thanks. That makes sense. If it stays like that I’ll see if there’s anything I can do to help

I had one or two do that before. Eventually the casing kind of rubs off and the feathers spread out. You might be able to very gently press and rub them between your fingers and the sheath will sort of disintegrate under the pressure.

I had one or two do that before. Eventually the casing kind of rubs off and the feathers spread out. You might be able to very gently press and rub them between your fingers and the sheath will sort of disintegrate under the pressure.
Thanks that’s really helpful. I’m going to try this weekend.

Back
Top Bottom