Ameraucana genetics question

I think the lavender with blue expression is a very nice color. I don't think it will ever become an approved color tho. Too many people in the clubs are against it.

Note they are starting to have issues with the introduction of the ermine color. The problem is arising because you can get all white birds through having two dominant white genes. This is a problem because Ameraucana whites are based off the recessive white gene. Getting them mixed with dominant white is bad news for the color.🙁
The lavender & blue expression is definitely gorgeous. I can’t foresee it getting recognized either though, as the ameraucana community is one of the most vehemently anti-lavender and blue mixing communities out there.

The ermine color seems so new, it’s sad they’re already seeing issues. A bit unsurprising though. Are people getting paints when crossing whites accidentally, is the combination of both whites washing out leg color, or is something else happening? I imagine it’d put breeding pens a few years back, if you find out youve got birds with genes that don’t mesh too well together as a first-generation cross.

View attachment 3639414
Not my photo. I saw this posted in an ameraucana group though, helping to differentiate Lavenders from Lavenders with the blue gene.

I agree that you shouldn’t breed blue and lavender varieties if you‘re serious about breeding(if you’ve just got a pet flock and you clarify with others what you’ve got, who cares.). If you’re breeding To standard, it just inevitably messes up the coloring of both varieties, and presents a very difficult challenge to breed away from. I agree that if you sell chicks, 100% clarify that they could have both genes. Birds with both genes aren’t something a dedicated breeder would want in either a lavender or blue pen.
IMO the feather quality of blue lavenders makes them the only lavenders I’ll tolerate.

Ah, does the blue gene improve the feather shredding issue lavenders have? I honestly can’t recall whether that was a yes or no.
In my opinion it did because I had a lavender blue d’Anvers once and she had the loveliest soft feathers. I can’t prove it or explain it but it’s an observation I’ve made.

The lavender & blue expression is definitely gorgeous. I can’t foresee it getting recognized either though, as the ameraucana community is one of the most vehemently anti-lavender and blue mixing communities out there.

The ermine color seems so new, it’s sad they’re already seeing issues. A bit unsurprising though. Are people getting paints when crossing whites accidentally, is the combination of both whites washing out leg color, or is something else happening? I imagine it’d put breeding pens a few years back, if you find out youve got birds with genes that don’t mesh too well together as a first-generation cross.
They are getting accidental paints when breeding white to white. Haven't heard about leg wash out yet.

I've been discussing with one of the facebook groups the terms used to name project birds. Because they all tell people that if you have a bird that is in every way but color an Ameraucana it's still an EE but then turn around and call their project colors Ameraucana. And apparently the community is devided on this. I just side on making the discussions less confusing by explaining things better or adhering to the SOP language and stop calling project colors Ameraucana.

Ya know what? I think I'm gona do the blue x lavender in my Ameracanas. I'm not showing and the people buying are not showing and I like the color. It also saves me the headache of separating my current Ameracanas from each other. Pen is gona be BBSL. Silvers to be added some time either in 2024 or 2025.

I know a man who helped create the breed, Mike Gilbert. He is not so involved in the drama.
Ya know what? I think I'm gona do the blue x lavender in my Ameracanas. I'm not showing and the people buying are not showing and I like the color. It also saves me the headache of separating my current Ameracanas from each other. Pen is gona be BBSL. Silvers to be added some time either in 2024 or 2025.
Are you going to introduce silver into the BBSL pen? I don’t like duckwingxblack based crosses personally but I guess you can do whatever you want.

It will be a bit of a pain separating my blues next year, but since I show them it's probably best they don't crossbreed

I know a man who helped create the breed, Mike Gilbert. He is not so involved in the drama.

Are you going to introduce silver into the BBSL pen? I don’t like duckwingxblack based crosses personally but I guess you can do whatever you want.
I want to introduce them to that pen yes. I love the duck wing patterning and I like it in blue and silver or lavender and silver quite a lot. Birchen can be more interesting and I might do an isabella w/ birchen later. I don't really like the wheaten color. I think mostly because birchen and duck-wing females are more interesting color wise in those two for me.

Back
Top Bottom