Ameraucana thread for posting pictures and discussing our birds

Pics
Quote:
The wheatons are lighter I think. I really dont know as I know very little about that color she was always the first to run up to me but never liked to be held.
smile.png

Hope your girl gets better soon Henry. She will,.. Probably just the change, a little stressful . God those are fantastic birds. They'll settle right in the meds will help.

Is anyone working on any new variates in Ameraucana? I am starting to work to improve my Brown Reds and that is all of the space I have but I would love to see a Wild Type BBR Ameraucana (If it can even be done and conform to the standard?).

I went to take pictures of my trio this morning but wouldn't you know it, IT WAS RAINING AGAIN!

I was wondering about a sex link ameraucana.
brown red or wheaten rooster x white hens
I don't know if it would work but it would be interesting to see if it would.

Quote:
Yes I have read that to but I am not up enough on genetics to say definitively it can or can not be done.

John Blehm said "The Standard's range for shank color includes slate, dark slate, very dark slate and black. If you can get a barred, cuckoo or other variety to breed true for any type of true slate (from light to dark) or black shanks I would think you have a viable variety."

From Sonoran Silkies "It is quite possible to get barring and dark legs, you just have to breed enough that you get some who had crossover and have both dark skin and barring. The hardest part is waiting for males to mature as thier skin and comb tends to get lighter as they reach sexual maturity.I don't see why it couldn't be done with ameraucanas if someone is willing to put the time and effort into it. But you do have to consider that it will be a harder/longer project than a variety where you merely have to breed one gene in."

From tadkerson "The individuals over at ABC are sticking to a standard of perfection. The standard of perfection is blue eggs, blue to black shanks and feet, and specific varieties that are described in the standard. I do not raise ameraucana but I can see the constant battle that the ameraucana breeders have trying to convince people of the standard. If a person wants to breed ameraucana, they should stick with the standard of perfection."

I agree completely with Tim but I would certainly never discourage anyone from trying any project, you just might pull it off and then again you might not.

Good Luck

Jean Partridge would be stunning. I saw that Orpington to and my jaw hit the floor. I would also love to see Lemon Blue (Real Lemon Blue) and Golden Duckwing to go along with the silver.

Quote:
I am just not into the Lavender. I like Porcelain but to me the Lavender is boring. I know I am in a huge minority here, heck I may be the only person that does not like the lavender.

Back
Top Bottom