Ameraucana thread for posting pictures and discussing our birds

... but I sold an EE to a neighbor and she swears that it will lay both brown and green eggs.

Hmmm, if actually possible, it might help explain the "who laid THIS egg" thing we sometimes have. About the same light brown color one of the Faverolles lays but WAY too big. One EE lays blue though there is sometimes enough green that it is hard to tell it is hers. The other lays green but with the opposite issue of the blue layer. Sometimes need really good day light to tell them apart if they aren't clearly blue or green.

In fact, they may be overly friendly at times. Just wait until you have a 3 or 4 month old pullet fly up out of nowhere and land on your shoulder!

The girls that land on me are my Anconas. You get used to hearing the "flap flap" just before they land. They have only landed on my shoulder or arm. I ended up with both on my left arm Sunday after extending it so the one than landed on my shoulder would back away from my face. "flap, flap," the other landed on my arm. Tough to get work done when they "help"
smile.png
The time one landed on my wife's head ... well she was NOT amused.

I just got a Murray McMurray catalog in the mail yesterday, and they sure aren't doing anything to dispel the "Americana" problem.

Neither is Ideal Poultry, in fact they may be worse as they don't use an alternate spelling. After getting my girls in June and then following BYC, where people said the hatcheries do not sell true Ameraucana even though they say they do, I sent I.P. an email asking if they were true Ameraucana (as their breed selection says) or EEs. The reply said they were Ameraucana because there is no EE breed. They are EEs and very nice birds, good layers too. Good thing I wasn't all set on pure bred Ameraucanas (or even knew about the whole Ameraucana/EE thing when I ordered), just wanted blue or green eggs. This is their description of the "Ameraucana" breed they sell: Ameraucanas, known as the "Easter Egg Breed", are a multicolored breed.

OK, just looked at the MM site. They are "equally" worse
wink.png
calling theirs "Araucana/Americana". One MIGHT confuse an EE for an Ameraucana if it had proper coloring but you sure can't confuse either an EE or an Ameraucana with an Araucana.

Bruce

OK so I am debating about keeping my blue wheaten cockerel. He is about nine and a half months old now. The picture does not show his color well. What do you think of his shape? Any critique would be greatly appreciated. He does have some striping in his hackles and a few red feathers on his chest.

To my untrained eye, he is very appealing. What's knocking me over is his color - he is so striking! Pretty boy.

Quote:
Another stunning blue! I love her lacing.

Her eyes are lighter then they look in the picture. My blues seem to have a really neat eye colour, iris is edged in orange and the rest is a medium brown(not dark like australoprs but in pics they look that way). gonna have to try for some better pics once the weather smartens up.

Did you hatch them from my eggs?
Seems Dorian, my roo, has a single beard gene.  I never knew because since I had him, he never had one - girls kept him picked clean.  The pics I saw of him before I bought him were when he was young and not fully developed.  At least one, maybe all of his hatch mates also had a single beard gene.  I did not realize it until a picture of their 3 month old pullets was commented on awhile ago.  I kept an eye on them more closely this time around.  I have hatched 4 beardless chickens so far.  This last batch three of four of the chicks hatched were beardless.  I kept all my single beard girls and I am now looking for a new rooster to cover them.  I will then start weeding out my single bearded girls.  I am very upset about this because although Kat says she breeds for egg color and not showing, this put me back 2yrs in my breeding plans.  I have 20 wheaten chicks (not 15 now) ordered from Paul Smith in hopes of a future SQ rooster or 3 being in that order of chicks.  He says his egg color is lacking, so hopefully Kat's egg color fixes his and his type fixes Kat's. 

:barnie

As for your question, I knew at 6 months.  They are nearly a year old and I know I only have 2 girls with double beard genes.  When they were hatched, I thought they looked like regular chicks.  The chick I hatched from WhiteMountainsRanch's eggs had a very fluffy face in comparison.  I wondered then.

Live and learn.

No these were hatched from huckleberry farms. I'm sure there is a beard there, its just a lot slower filling in than my older birds from another breeder. I was a little concerned at first since like you said compaired to the other line they hardly had anything.

Thought I'd post a pic of my Blue Wheaten Roo "Geoffry III"... he is the "grandson" of my original Geoffry that I purchased from Jean.

He's big and a real looker and hatched from a VERY BLUE EGG.

He hatched at Easter, has not yet crowed, nor has he mated with any of the hens yet...

I have two of my wheaten girls laying so I hope he starts doing his thing so I can hatch out some of his babies this coming Easter.

Thought I'd post a pic of my Blue Wheaten Roo "Geoffry III"... he is the "grandson" of my original Geoffry that I purchased from Jean.

He's big and a real looker and hatched from a VERY BLUE EGG.

He hatched at Easter, has not yet crowed, nor has he mated with any of the hens yet...

I have two of my wheaten girls laying so I hope he starts doing his thing so I can hatch out some of his babies this coming Easter.

I want some VERY blue eggs! He is certainly a very pretty boy!

Okay- so jealous. Can anyone tell me what traits are sexlinked? Like egg color is from the male, etc? I think this means that certain traits can only be passed through the roos as the hens don't carry the appropriate amount of genes. I am hammering my way through some books but have to take it slow as I am getting very confused.

Also, can anyone recommend a "chicken calculator" that is like, Jr. High level? Sad commentary, I know.
D.gif

thanks!

Take your time learning genetics.It can overload you if done all at once.Most of use took years to learn what we know.Some of the sex linked traits are silver and gold,leg colors slate and white.There are others but these will get you started learning.

Back
Top Bottom