Ameraucana thread for posting pictures and discussing our birds

You do not have to read the entire thread to learn about the difference between EEs and Ameraucana. It is a regular topic on this thread. I would bet every ten pages or so. Some of us are tired of the argument.

I can't wait for mine! I was told April for my wheatens. I am dying with anticipation!

.............. I just realized that I may want to build a new brooder. I am actually going to be over run with chicks this year.
jumpy.gif
Mine are too!!!! So excited! Getting lavs and Blacks here YAY!

Originally Posted by lualshannon
"if they have ABC., accepted colors, they are Ameraucana, and if they are any other color, they are EE. I am having difficulty understanding how they can be classified as different breeds if they are the progeny of the same parents?"

It is a complicatedly simple thing and as hard of a learning curve as it is... I spent the time to learn it.
I still have a lot more to learn, especially now that I have chosen the color(s) I wish to concentrate on. But I finally "get it".
Thank you to those of you I frustrated with it, who guided me and helped me learn. I DO appreciate it very much!

Still looking for Silvers
fl.gif
droolin.gif
love.gif

Chris

You do not have to read the entire thread to learn about the difference between EEs and Ameraucana. It is a regular topic on this thread. I would bet every ten pages or so. Some of us are tired of the argument.

Or better yet, they can just go to www.ameraucana.org, the true authority on all things Ameraucana, for all the information they are seeking, just like so many of us before them that have also learned the hard way have done.
smile.png

Quote:
I strongly encourage you to visit www.ameraucana.org for everything you want to know about Ameraucanas.

Chickens don't inherit breed status by birth. They have to look a certain way in order to qualify and depending on the breed, lay a certain coloured egg. If they don't meet the breed's description, they don't qualify, regardless of who their parents are.

Originally Posted by lualshannon
"if they have ABC., accepted colors, they are Ameraucana, and if they are any other color, they are EE. I am having difficulty understanding how they can be classified as different breeds if they are the progeny of the same parents?"

It is a complicatedly simple thing and as hard of a learning curve as it is... I spent the time to learn it.
I still have a lot more to learn, especially now that I have chosen the color(s) I wish to concentrate on. But I finally "get it".
Thank you to those of you I frustrated with it, who guided me and helped me learn. I DO appreciate it very much!

Still looking for Silvers
fl.gif
droolin.gif
love.gif

Chris
Good luck on finding some more silvers, I too am looking as I lost my silver cock, and now have three lonely silver hens. My birds are from the same breeding as yours. I love my silvers, and as soon as I find a male, will be breeding and showing them again. But, for now will work on my blacks. They are special too!!!

Good luck on finding some more silvers, I too am looking as I lost my silver cock, and now have three lonely silver hens. My birds are from the same breeding as yours. I love my silvers, and as soon as I find a male, will be breeding and showing them again. But, for now will work on my blacks. They are special too!!!
Youd could breed your silver girls to a black cockerel to improve their size. It will take several generations to get back the color though.

You could just do this with one of your girls and get a cockerel to use.

Quote: Could you provide more details? So I'd have a split cockerel that I'd put over the pure Silver hens. What then? Would I continue to take the offspring back to the pure Silvers or interbreed? Once I "get back the color" will I always have the potential for unwanted coloration in future generations or should they breed fairly pure therafter? Thanks.

Could you provide more details? So I'd have a split cockerel that I'd put over the pure Silver hens. What then? Would I continue to take the offspring back to the pure Silvers or interbreed? Once I "get back the color" will I always have the potential for unwanted coloration in future generations or should they breed fairly pure therafter? Thanks.
I was wondering the same thing since I am looking forward to working with the Silvers also
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom