Ameraucana thread for posting pictures and discussing our birds

Your first statement can be argued, however, everyone has different ideas of that interpretation. Breeding stock does not necessarily mean show stock. Show stock should mean breeding stock.
I think the point I was trying to make was that a breeder should have an end goal in mind and sometimes to get there one has to give up something in order to add something that is rare or difficult to find. The bird that is bringing in that rare quality might not be worthy of being shown but is very valuable in a breeding program. In the dog world, I would argue that show stock does not mean breeding stock. I don't know how the politics and fashion of shows applies to chickens, but in dog show judges rarely understand the breed and judge based on fashion, politics and the finish and showmanship of the animal. I would argue that the breeders rarely understand the breed since most are in and out of breeding and showing dogs in five years. Chicken breeders might be closer to the chicken's primary function which was to produce food. Dogs have lost their connection to their purpose except in a few breeds. Look at a top winning German Shepherd dog move around the ring and then imagine that same dog working in the field all day. It simply couldn't do its job. I do believe that in breeds like Marans, the primary quality of the bird should be the rich dark brown egg. How can you judge that at a show? Probably a person like me should not even think of breeding, just buy chicks from a good breeder and hope I get something to show and have fun with. The culls can either go to freezer camp or to some other chicken keepers flock.

http://www.poultryshowcase.com/Oklahoma State Poultry Show/2012_oklahoma_state_poultry_show.html

Paul frequently attends this show in Dec., in OK.

I also show dogs. Showing Ameraucanas is like showing a Nova Scotia Duck Tolling Retriever in the Sporting group.
wink.png

Thanks so much. You've now scared me. I showed Flat Coated Retrievers (among other breeds) so understand exactly what you are telling me.

Forgive me if I'm wrong, Isn't any ameraucana that doesn't meet standard (like a splash from wheatan) considered an EE? -or does it have to have mixed parents?
Quote: No- just because an ameraucana has a fault or is a cull does not make it an EE. And there is no way to see all that at hatch.
And to call splash wheatens EEs is quite wrong.. You cannot tell them at hatch anyway unless you are only breeding splash wheaten to splash wheaten.

Still learnin, thanks :) I have wheatans and in reading found the splash not recognized but the wheatan & blue wheatan are, my confusion came from a Splash owners post I read selling them as EE'S (non-standard EE/ameraucanas it said in the Ad. But they were from a pure trio of wheatans it stated lol), then I see so many people sent to other threads for EE mix ups...so, if Splash appears in a clutch I have-they should be grown out to be sure then not used for breeding (unless I wanted splash to splash- I'd think that's not a desired trait not being recognized -blue egg gene is there for backyard layers or cull?) Probably unavoidable being genetic... Haven't gotten that far yet in it, I'm still raising them!
No- just because an ameraucana has a fault or is a cull does not make it an EE. And there is no way to see all that at hatch. 
And to call splash wheatens EEs is quite wrong.. You cannot tell them at hatch anyway unless you are only breeding splash wheaten to splash wheaten.

Nooo- keep any splash wheatens with good type. You can use them to make blue wheatens with your regular wheatens. Or sell a SW male with a wheaten female as BW pair...they are NOT EEs. Just like lavenders are NOT EEs.
Welcome to the world of Wheaties
big_smile.png

I'm pretty new at all the breed types out there, but can someone explain to me what is splash, and the difference in all the wheaten birds, Im picking up 5 Wheaten hens, and 2 blue wheaten birds, plus blue wheaten eggs and Lavender... I would like to know from an experienced person what makes each one different? - new to the Ameraucana birds, I have two hens that lay a green egg, one more greeny then the other. But am fascinated with everything.

Quote: I like the lacing of both birds..it has the correct amount of *dark* around the feather to accent. sometimes that can get too fine and almost lack visibility. As your male is maturing he is loosing some of *look* of his lacing, and that is normal, he is getting in cockerel feathers. You already have instincts that will serve you well. You do not like the staining on the bird. It should not have yellow or red, or any type of staining on solid birds. it is called sometimes leakage depending on how much and where it is located. Sometimes it is staining. I have one blue with minor staining. I have not made a decision on culling her or not yet. I will wait till she moults into her adult feathers. She is a bit small too, so that would be more of a decision than a slight staining. A scale is a good investment so you know if you are on track. I have an old baby scale. I have a really large cockerel and he is young. I was worried he was going to be way too big, however his weight is correct.
I love the color blue of both of those birds. Love the heads and beards. I would take them both in a heart beat.
Forgive me if I'm wrong, Isn't any ameraucana that doesn't meet standard (like a splash from wheatan) considered an EE? -or does it have to have mixed parents?
Quote: lol..I hatch EE's out of good stock. Please tell me your secret if you never do. Last batch of chicks I had a few EE's. One had a green tint color on legs, and the other had yellow on the bottom of the feet. I would love to hatch a perfect hatch.
Quote: You have several good points. In both show rings, you can breed to the standard or breed to Judges preferences. I breed my birds to my preference and what I like and what my goals are. I breed English Orpingtons too. I love all the fluff and feathers. I bred to the English standard, not the American standard. Is it a good show choice? Nope
Quote: No- just because an ameraucana has a fault or is a cull does not make it an EE. And there is no way to see all that at hatch.
And to call splash wheatens EEs is quite wrong.. You cannot tell them at hatch anyway unless you are only breeding splash wheaten to splash wheaten.
You have great points.
We were talking solids and yes you can tell splash at hatch quite easily. It would be the light color one. The darker ones are black and blues.

Green legs and yellow bottom of feet can be produced by quality Ameracuana's. Those are EE's, and can be seen at hatch.

Flat heads, narrow heads, (we need a fat broad head) wrong beaks(incorrect curve, or hook) can be seen at hatch, and fit into cull category.

Back
Top Bottom