Ameraucana thread for posting pictures and discussing our birds

Splash wheatan

Hi guys, I am getting my mom into chickens and she would like to focus on the Ameraucana. She is looking for the Brown Red or Silver colors.
Any suggestions on where to buy show quality eggs?
Thanks!

Maybe a few OZ more. They gradually get largerand vary for bird to bird, but this line seems to be pretty consistent on the med sized eggs.
holly cow..poor chicken..I would love to hatch a few of those.. Still working with these... I am hoping to keep the bird size and egg size while eliminating the leakage. With any luck I might have eggs by spring/summer 2015.

Hi guys, I am getting my mom into chickens and she would like to focus on the Ameraucana. She is looking for the Brown Red or Silver colors.
Any suggestions on where to buy show quality eggs?
Thanks!
check the breeders directory on this website www.ameraucana.org . Hopefully you can find someone listed that his them and get some for your mom, good luck

I am in search of a line of wheaten or Blue Wheaten Ameraucanas to get chicks from that have good weight and desirable tail sets. Suggestions? The hens I have now have excellent weight (5-6 lb) but some of their tail sets aren't good at all. I can work with stippling in the hackles to an extent.

Last June I bought two W/BW Ameraucana chics, hoping to get a blue egg laying hen. Instead I ended up with two cockerels, but they are such nice birds that I have decided to keep them. Here is my 23 week old Wheaten Ameraucana Cockerel. I'm interested in feedback as I'm new to the breed. I do intend on Joining the ABC for 2104, but so far, the amount I know of the breed standard is what is listed on the ABC page.

It seems to me that he carries his tail too low. Here's another pic, but he's stretching his head forward.

Here's a head shot of his comb.

And here's a shot of the Blue Wheaten cockerel I got at the same time as the Wheaten. I absolutely love his look, except that he has not beard or muff so can't be used for breeding Ameraucanas. I'm planning on keeping him with my laying hens. He should produce some nice Easter Egger offspring.

Nice photo bomb by the Wheaten :D

I bought two Ameraucana pullets to use with the Wheaten cockerel. Here's a quick pic. They look a bit ratty right now as they are about 20 weeks old have been loosing feathers from a moult. I'll post more pics of the pullets in a couple of weeks when their new feathers are in.

I think the darker one is a Wheaten and the lighter one a Blue Wheaten. The lighter one is a bit on the small side.

Anyway, any feedback, especially for the Wheaten cockerel, would be appreciated.

Back
Top Bottom