Ameraucana thread for posting pictures and discussing our birds

Can anyone tell me how long a hen has to be in with a rooster before all of her eggs will be fertilized by that roo? I separated by ams into breeding pens and I had them in there for at least a week when I put an egg in the bator to test fertility. it hatched this past weekend and the darn thing has pink spots on its toes and sparse muff and beard. Pretty sure its a mutt.

I waited 5 weeks and still had a few mixed chicks. When I made the same inquiry I rec'd a range of replies from 4 - 8 weeks then I found out it is also possible that roosters can be more fertile than average and hens can retain viable sperm for several MONTHS. It isn’t common but it DOES happen. See FAQ #33 on the University of Kentucky Poultry Extension website here: http://www2.ca.uky.edu/smallflocks/FAQ.html#Q33

Can anyone tell me how long a hen has to be in with a rooster before all of her eggs will be fertilized by that roo? I separated by ams into breeding pens and I had them in there for at least a week when I put an egg in the bator to test fertility. it hatched this past weekend and the darn thing has pink spots on its toes and sparse muff and beard. Pretty sure its a mutt
If they were in with other roosters before, another rooster could be the dad. If you take a hen away from a rooster it can remain fertile for a mouth give a week or so. But just because you pair them off doesn't mean that the previous rooster don't still have a possibility of being the dad too, well at least for a little while.

Can anyone tell me how long a hen has to be in with a rooster before all of her eggs will be fertilized by that roo? I separated by ams into breeding pens and I had them in there for at least a week when I put an egg in the bator to test fertility. it hatched this past weekend and the darn thing has pink spots on its toes and sparse muff and beard. Pretty sure its a mutt.

Some of my purebred Ameraucanas had pink toes when they were very young. They filled in the proper color as they grew.

Well, I separated them on the first and I just set some on the 21st, so I'm hoping that they come out purebred. They're my Paul Smith birds (with a couple of Blehm birds mixed in).
When I remove a cock from the pen I wait a week then add the new cock. I then wait a week before saving eggs. This works well for me.

Some of my purebred Ameraucanas had pink toes when they were very young. They filled in the proper color as they grew.
My roo's middle toe on both feet are white and the others are black. Does that mean he's not a Ameraucana? He looks like this ( i haven't been able to get a picture of him yet. Every time i go out i forget the camera! lol!) only mine is a bit darker and he has a couple gold feathers on his neck and back.
lfbluem.jpg

Last edited:
My roo's middle toe on both feet are white and the others are black. Does that mean he's not a Ameraucana? He looks like this ( i haven't been able to get a picture of him yet. Every time i go out i forget the camera! lol!) only mine is a bit darker and he has a couple gold feathers on his neck and back.
lfbluem.jpg
His hatch mate, who i have, looks like excactly like this
lfblackf.JPG

Well, I separated them on the first and I just set some on the 21st, so I'm hoping that they come out purebred.  They're my Paul Smith birds (with a couple of Blehm birds mixed in).

When I remove a cock from the pen I wait a week then add the new cock. I then wait a week before saving eggs. This works well for me.

x2 works for me too.

Quote: Angel16 these pictures are of ameraucanas that are at show and prime examples.

What you are describing are at minimum flaws.

If you want accurate opinions of the birds you own you need to post images of them not birds of the ABC website.

Go get your camera and take some pictures to share with us!!!!!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom