Ameraucana thread for posting pictures and discussing our birds

Thanks, you've all been such help. I will let you know how the next hatch turns out.

I never intentionally put a rooster of another breed in with my pure pullets or hens . If i can keep them seperate during breeding i can do this all year ..... as they are my top priority number one concern .
If i find myself unable to do this because of too many birds i will have to let birds go (this is necessary to reach our goals as breeders) . If our goals are lax we can then make plans to fit .

Last edited:
I let them free range when they're young. I separate them when they start laying. This is the first time I've had this trouble. But I know a lot of people who let their breeders free range with their free ranging flock when breeding season is over. I guess I just have to anticipate their higher production season and separate them a bit earlier.

Happy thanksgiving!

Splash came upstairs and insisted on a cuddle.

Angel16 these pictures are of ameraucanas that are at show and prime examples.

What you are describing are at minimum flaws.

If you want accurate opinions of the birds you own you need to post images of them not birds of the ABC website.

Go get your camera and take some pictures to share with us!!!!!
I am sorry i don't have pictures to post. I have been very ill and am still recovering. These pictures are the closest to what they look like. As soon as i am able i will take pictures and post them for everyone to judge.

Angel16 these pictures are of ameraucanas that are at show and prime examples.

What you are describing are at minimum flaws.

If you want accurate opinions of the birds you own you need to post images of them not birds of the ABC website.

Go get your camera and take some pictures to share with us!!!!!

I am sorry i don't have pictures to post. I have been very ill and am still recovering. These pictures are the closest to what they look like.  As soon as i am able i will take pictures and post them for everyone to judge.

Well take good care of yourself and get well soon!

There is really no point posting pics of other people's birds. We look forward to seeing yours.
Hopefully you have someone to help take care of your birds while you are sick.

Last edited:
How can you tell an egg is fertile?

The egg below has a small creamy spot on the yoke, just left of center. I hope it shows in the picture. Is this what a fertile egg looks like?

That does not appear fertile to me by that photo. Every yolk has that spot, the blastodisc, on it. If it was fertile, there would be a ring around the spot and it would then be a blastoderm, a potential embryo. I don't see a ring in that photograph, though it is admittedly difficult to photograph an egg due to the glare.

For examples of fertile vs infertile, here is a thread for you that I did a few years ago:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/16008/how-to-tell-a-fertile-vs-infertile-egg-pictures

I loooooove ameraucana crosses. we have an ameraucana crossed with a rhode island red and it is a beutiful hen.
love.gif
but we have predetors like cougars,bears and cyotes with rats opossums and others.it makes me mad!!
somad.gif

Back
Top Bottom