Ameraucana thread for posting pictures and discussing our birds

First pic his face before girls and dog attack second pic a week or so after the attack. I'll have to get a better pic tomorrow those are off my phone.

Looks like molt..

My girls groom the males and they end up with no face feathers sometimes..
If I am showing, the birds are put into condition pens so they do not loose feathers..

Looks like molt..

My girls groom the males and they end up with no face feathers sometimes..
If I am showing, the birds are put into condition pens so they do not loose feathers..
yeah looks like molt but there was just one huge pile of feathers beside the house along with a few through out the yard of other birds. Lost 8 birds 4 we never found others just tossed around and left there once dead. The rooster had a drop of blood on his foot but not bleeding so thinking he got a good swipe in on the dog. I almost got the dog the next day but when I went back out with my gun he went back into my neighbors tall grass. My rooster was going nuts is only reason I knew the dog was out there. He don't go nuts for my dogs out there so figure he remembered the dog from day before.

They are still losing the last of their chick down and feathering in, only about 45 days old I think. They have little feather stubs on their little naked chins right now, LOL! I read that Wheaten's legs darken with age, and I do remember remarking on the paleness even of the adult wheatens when I visited Paul Smith's place - that was the first time I'd seen them in person. So I am guessing this coloration is acceptable with paler legs?? They were very pale at birth and seem to be getting grayish right now - though that pic makes them look more green. I am not sure what you mean by "acceptable color". They are purebred Wheaten Ameraucanas vs mixed breed or mixed colors (other than the possibility of Blue in the mix). Do you mean like for showing it would be a mark against it for being darker than ideal?

Thanks,

Melissa

Hi Melissa,

I was so afraid to post any comment because I am very much a novice and was hoping others would chime in about your birds so I could learn. No one did, so I commented on my initial impression of them. Just keep in mind, I know zip about the breed, exhibiting and evaluating conformation of chickens in general.

I have three of Paul Smith's Wheatens, and they do seem to have very pale legs compared to my other Paul Smith birds (a lavender and two splash), which would be expected, but they don't look "slate" to me.

The SOP states that Wheaten Ameraucanas should have the same color as Wheaten Old English Game bantams, except a lighter shade in females is preferred. The wheaten OEG bantams pullets are described as having a back of creamy wheaten. The pullet of yours that I commented on had a heavily stippled back--at least I think it would be called stippling. The two top main tail feathers are to be "rich wheaten, slightly stippled in black." The wings are to be "light creamy wheaten." I think there is too much stippling going on and too rich a black color in the tail.

Again, I am no expert in the breed--or any breed! I am here to learn and hope those who really understand the breed will chime in and help us novices get a better understanding of the breed and how to mold what we have towards the SOP.

Hi Melissa,

I was so afraid to post any comment because I am very much a novice and was hoping others would chime in about your birds so I could learn. No one did, so I commented on my initial impression of them. Just keep in mind, I know zip about the breed, exhibiting and evaluating conformation of chickens in general.

I have three of Paul Smith's Wheatens, and they do seem to have very pale legs compared to my other Paul Smith birds (a lavender and two splash), which would be expected, but they don't look "slate" to me.

The SOP states that Wheaten Ameraucanas should have the same color as Wheaten Old English Game bantams, except a lighter shade in females is preferred. The wheaten OEG bantams pullets are described as having a back of creamy wheaten. The pullet of yours that I commented on had a heavily stippled back--at least I think it would be called stippling. The two top main tail feathers are to be "rich wheaten, slightly stippled in black." The wings are to be "light creamy wheaten." I think there is too much stippling going on and too rich a black color in the tail.

Again, I am no expert in the breed--or any breed! I am here to learn and hope those who really understand the breed will chime in and help us novices get a better understanding of the breed and how to mold what we have towards the SOP.

I am in the same boat as you for the Wheaten variety. What I will say, is this. You should never judge a W/B/S by color until they are a little bit older. They go through so many molts, and therefore color changes. I also have purchased some chicks from Paul Smith. Most of the legs will get darker, and the females will get less gingery and more creamy. Give them at least 6-9 months to judge there plumage. This part is my opinion: Its better to have a bird with excellent type and fair color, then to have an excellent colored bad typed one.

First pic his face before girls and dog attack second pic a week or so after the attack. I'll have to get a better pic tomorrow those are off my phone.

I didn't catch how old your bird is. Molting is definatly a possiblity. It is completely normal for hens to groom the males. Fermented feed does encourage this behavior. His beard/muffs should be back after he is done molting. Good Luck!

Well cleaning coops alittle and just doing random stuff in them. Watched my sons hen groom my dang roo's beard or should I say lack of beard lol. This guy is like 10 months old think was born start of feb. I got him when he was 3.5-4 months old. Raining today so no fresh pics of him.

Quote:
I'm pretty new to ameraucanas. I've only raised a few chicks the last year and a half and have tried reading up on the color since I love it so much. A few of the wheaten pullets I have had have been smutty on their backs until they got more mature feathers in. I have one girl out there that I thought was a blue wheaten cockerel for a long while because she was so dark. About 12-16 weeks she really started cleaning up. The wheaten chick legs are pink looking on hatch and start darkening from there. Their legs are a bit lighter than other varieties.

Back
Top Bottom