Ameraucana thread for posting pictures and discussing our birds

Hi, I just found this thread and am excited to read everything. Until I can get thru it all I was wondering if anyone who has shown ameraucanas would take a look at my blue rooster and give me your opinion on his quality. He is our first Ameraucana so I hope I got a good one. :) I am hoping to breed them at some point.

These are definitely E. E. Ameraucana rooster RIR hen(parants). Pullets lay medium, green eggs.

Last edited:
Hi, I just found this thread and am excited to read everything. Until I can get thru it all I was wondering if anyone who has shown ameraucanas would take a look at my blue rooster and give me your opinion on his quality. He is our first Ameraucana so I hope I got a good one.
smile.png
I am hoping to breed them at some point.
Love the muffs and beard..love the curves!! Very very nice..
Good leg color..I do not see a good tail curve..it might be the picture and stance ..It is unfair to judge souley on a picture.
I like this bird..Some of these pictures are hard to judge anything else on..How much does he weigh?

My pure lav ams and lav splits lay green to seafoam eggs. They're absolutely pure from Paul and Angela Smith.
My biggest concern was not that my wheatens are laying green eggs but that I received and incubated very pretty light blue eggs and this first egg laid was green not blue. Though my hens look very nice I wonder what is going on.

On a couple of my birds, the very first egg they laid was almost super saturated with color and looked green. I'd wait and see what the next eggs look like.
I think that is good advice. I have 6 girls so I do not know who has laid this eggs and need to see what else I get from the rest. I do have one hen that has black in her neck feathers that I am going to watch.

On a couple of my birds, the very first egg they laid was almost super saturated with color and looked green. I'd wait and see what the next eggs look like. 
I have a Lav split hen of unknown origin that I bought from someone. I was told lav split although she has no beard or muffs so I still have some doubts. Her first egg was a slate green and i thought it was clear she was not what she was supposed to be. Then she took a long break laying and since she started back to laying they are very blue with maybe a hint of sea foam to them. So.... anything is possible I guess.

Hi, I just found this thread and am excited to read everything. Until I can get thru it all I was wondering if anyone who has shown ameraucanas would take a look at my blue rooster and give me your opinion on his quality. He is our first Ameraucana so I hope I got a good one.
smile.png
I am hoping to breed them at some point.

I like that he has a very full beard. It is kind of hard to judge this picture for size, but he doesn't seem to be bad in that area. I don't much care for his color though. His neck feathers (dark blue area) looks to have light blue showing through. (I wouldn't really consider that a problem, more of a personal taste type of thing). His chest feather, appear to be bleached from the sun. I would like to see more lacing. When it comes to color, each judge seems to have their own perspective. Such as light blue versus dark blue. I personally prefer dark blue, with lots of nice dark lacing. One judge may love the coloring of this bird, while another wouldn't. His legs also look a little light, more whitish than slate. Other things to consider when looking at this bird would be his tail set, in the second picture, he doesn't seem to be in a very natural stance. So I don't think he is holding his tail as he normally would. I would love to see some more pictures of this bird.

Just some thoughts.

To all of the people discussing egg color..... a blue egg does not make a purebred ameraucana nor does a greenish egg make an easter egger. Plenty of easter eggers lay very blue eggs and conversely plenty of purebred ameraucanas lay greenish eggs. It's all about the breed standards....not egg color. There are 8 colors of ameraucanas; white, black, blue, wheaten, blue wheaten, silver, buff and brown red. Other colors are currently projects (lavenders, etc) or easter eggers. Projects are breeding programs with a goal of producing and showing new colors (that breed true) that may eventually be accepted into the SOPs. Easter eggers are typically random crosses between two non related ameraucana colors such as silver and wheaten or an ameraucana and some other breed of chicken. Egg color is quite variable and the standards for ameraucanas don't disqualify for greenish eggs. I hope this helps with any confusion. Also I am writing from memory so please feel free to correct any facts that are misquoted.

I think egg color does not constitute a breed also. It's just a quick clue to a possible answer. Like white skin or a peacomb. The shades of blue vary. As does how we see the color and I often hear people awaiting a surprise color egg hoping for blue not brown... they were bought at a hatchery that said they may lay "blue, green or shades on between" tada EE.

But I don't see green eggs in the SOP for a disqualification or accepted color. I do see "shades of blue" on the site for egg color descriptions.

I've been in the EE/AM confusion. Comes down to technically there's a club that has has specific standards (color as an example- only 8 I believe? EEs are usually uniquely colored- AMs often not. Except splashes lol but they're not in the club either. Lol) So if the bird doesn't fit all of the standards, the birds not a good example of the breed-except I know splashes are used a lot in breeding because I think color may be the only reason they're not accepted "splashes" vary like EEs that way... Call it EE, non-standard ameraucana, George... its confusing, especially for people new to club standards.
To all of the people discussing egg color..... a blue egg does not make a purebred ameraucana nor does a greenish egg make an easter egger.  Plenty of easter eggers lay very blue eggs and conversely plenty of purebred ameraucanas lay greenish eggs. It's all about the breed standards....not egg color. There are 8 colors of ameraucanas; white, black, blue, wheaten, blue wheaten, silver, buff and brown red. Other colors are currently projects (lavenders, etc) or easter eggers.  Projects are breeding programs with a goal of producing and showing new colors (that breed true) that may eventually be accepted into the SOPs. Easter eggers are typically random crosses between two non related ameraucana colors such as silver and wheaten or an ameraucana and some other breed of chicken. Egg color is quite variable and the standards for ameraucanas don't disqualify for greenish eggs.  I hope this helps with any confusion.  Also I am writing from memory so please feel free to correct any facts that are misquoted.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom