Ameraucana thread for posting pictures and discussing our birds

I'm going to bite the bullet and enter some birds in my very first poultry show. I'm planning on showing a splash and a Wheaten pullet. There is a group of three small shows within driving distance--a perfect place for a novice to start. I'll also enter some bantam Cochins I recently bought.

Yesterday my husband finally set up the little portable coop for the the Ameraucana pullets so they are now separated from the boys. I'll go over them carefully today and see if they belong in the show and to start dealing with tatty feathers. I've left it a little late as the first show is only five weeks away.

Any tips you experienced exhibitors can offer? Do I enter the splash in the AOV class?

Does anyone have a picture of a perfectly trimmed beak? I've been told (by Cochin people) that the top beak tip should be level with the bottom beak. Is that true with Ameraucanas?

Thanks.

I'm wading my way through the web sites for the shows I want to enter.

On South Texas State Fair's entry form, they have on the top line beside "name" a line for "SS#." Surely they are not asking for my Social Security number?

I'm going to bite the bullet and enter some birds in my very first poultry show. I'm planning on showing a splash and a Wheaten pullet. There is a group of three small shows within driving distance--a perfect place for a novice to start. I'll also enter some bantam Cochins I recently bought.

Yesterday my husband finally set up the little portable coop for the the Ameraucana pullets so they are now separated from the boys. I'll go over them carefully today and see if they belong in the show and to start dealing with tatty feathers. I've left it a little late as the first show is only five weeks away.

Any tips you experienced exhibitors can offer? Do I enter the splash in the AOV class?

Does anyone have a picture of a perfectly trimmed beak? I've been told (by Cochin people) that the top beak tip should be level with the bottom beak. Is that true with Ameraucanas?

Thanks.

What I found that was helpful to me was attending a show (the Maryland Poultry Fancier's show in Frederick, MD in early November) as a spectator first. I observed the judging, all the chickens, and talked with folks there. After the rankings and winners were determined, I toured and observed each one closely. I wanted to get a mental picture of how my chickens would stand up against those that had done well.

Based upon this information, I felt much more confident that my chickens might do OK. I then entered the Virginia Poultry Breeders Association show on November 23, 2013. In this show, I entered cream legbars, euskal oiloas, and ameraucanas. Of the ameraucanas, I entered a black cockerel and pullet, a blue wheaten cockerel, and a wheaten cockerel and pullet. For the ameraucanas, I had the following results:

• Black Ameraucana cockerel – Best in Breed/Best Variety
  • Black Ameraucana pullet – Reserve Variety
  • Blue Wheaten Ameraucana cockerel – Best Variety
  • Wheaten Ameraucana pullet – Best Variety
  • Wheaten Ameraucana cockerel – Reserve Variety

All in all, it was a lot of work to get eleven chickens ready for my first show. But I absolutely enjoyed the show and the results. While the success that I had at this show I will gladly attribute to “dumb luck”, especially with my ameraucanas. I like to think that I am starting to develop “an eye” for what looks good. I have always been a visual thinker and getting pictures in my mind of what things should look like has always come easy for me.

Take the plunge on showing your chickens! It is a great learning experience and you will get the opportunity to talk with many other folks who share your interests. Many are willing to compare notes and give advice (and, of course, some are not).

The Poultry Show Central website (http://www.poultryshowcentral.com/) is an excellent website that I used and recommend to anyone who is considering showing their chickens. There is a lot of good information on that site on how to prepare your chickens and yourself for the show.

What I found that was helpful to me was attending a show (the Maryland Poultry Fancier's show in Frederick, MD in early November) as a spectator first. I observed the judging, all the chickens, and talked with folks there. After the rankings and winners were determined, I toured and observed each one closely. I wanted to get a mental picture of how my chickens would stand up against those that had done well.

Based upon this information, I felt much more confident that my chickens might do OK. I then entered the Virginia Poultry Breeders Association show on November 23, 2013. In this show, I entered cream legbars, euskal oiloas, and ameraucanas. Of the ameraucanas, I entered a black cockerel and pullet, a blue wheaten cockerel, and a wheaten cockerel and pullet. For the ameraucanas, I had the following results:

• Black Ameraucana cockerel – Best in Breed/Best Variety
  • Black Ameraucana pullet – Reserve Variety
  • Blue Wheaten Ameraucana cockerel – Best Variety
  • Wheaten Ameraucana pullet – Best Variety
  • Wheaten Ameraucana cockerel – Reserve Variety

All in all, it was a lot of work to get eleven chickens ready for my first show. But I absolutely enjoyed the show and the results. While the success that I had at this show I will gladly attribute to “dumb luck”, especially with my ameraucanas. I like to think that I am starting to develop “an eye” for what looks good. I have always been a visual thinker and getting pictures in my mind of what things should look like has always come easy for me.

Take the plunge on showing your chickens! It is a great learning experience and you will get the opportunity to talk with many other folks who share your interests. Many are willing to compare notes and give advice (and, of course, some are not).

The Poultry Show Central website (http://www.poultryshowcentral.com/) is an excellent website that I used and recommend to anyone who is considering showing their chickens. There is a lot of good information on that site on how to prepare your chickens and yourself for the show.

Thanks for the advice.

That's quite a lot of loot for your first show. Congratulations!

I've been to Poultry Show Central and gone through a lot of their web site. These are small shows, I think. The breeder of the Ameraucanas (Paul Smith, Regional director for South Central region) said mine might very well be the only Ameraucanas at the show. I don't think there will be many bantam Cochins, either, so I might get some ribbons for just showing up as long as they don't have any DQs.

I'll also start looking through the ABC site and see if they have any exhibiting tips.

I do have several show cages, so they will get used to being confined in a cage, put in and taken out. The weather should be nice today, so I'll set up a table and chairs in their pen and start pulling broken feathers and check them over.

Last edited:
The breeder of the Ameraucanas (Paul Smith, Regional director for South Central region) said mine might very well be the only Ameraucanas at the show.

I just looked on the ABC web site and it says there is a is a meet at the South Central Texas State fair. Is that correct?

Thanks.

Back
Top Bottom