Ameraucana thread for posting pictures and discussing our birds

At least 14 weeks. Maybe 16 weeks.
They are quite pink but the combs have not really changed in the last month so I was having a rethink.

Last edited:
I'm entering my first poultry shows in March and am trying to understand the whole poultry-exhibiting game. I've shown dogs, so I thought that showing poultry would have the same sort of elimination system until you get to the bird the judge(s) believe to the very top specimen at the show.

I have been looking through APA's web site and did not find my answers. I did find the show rules, but they didn't have much information in them. The link to the Constitution and By Laws failed.

I didn't see in the show rules any restrictions on who may show under a judge. For example, could I show my Cochins that I just bought under the judge who bred them and sold them to me? If one of my immediate family members is a judge, can I show under them? I didn't see that addressed in the Show Rules. Perhaps they are in the Constitution and Bylaws, but that link didn't work so I couldn't read them.

I read the show rules, but nothing is mentioned about how birds actually compete, other than to say that non-recognized varieties (in my case, splash Ameraucanas and splash bantam Cochins) can only compete up to Best of Variety.

Nowhere in the show rules does it talk about the classes or the route the Best of Variety goes to end up being the top bird in the show. I am assuming there is a bird awarded something akin to dog shows' Best in Show.

I also read through their list of APA list of recognized breeds and varieties. I find Cochins listed as "Asiatic" and also as "Feather Legged." I was surprised to find Ameraucanas listed as "All Other Comb Clean Legged" and not in the American group, especially when the SOP describes them as being developed in the United States in the 1970s.

The SOP didn't offer a lot, either.

Can someone explain to me the route an entry of aBlue Wheaten Ameraucana pullet would take if the judge thought she was the best bird in the show? What awards would she win to go to the top? Or is there a top bird?

I am finding this a lot more confusing than I expected. Thanks everyone for your patience.
JaJean,

This is essentially the way it works.

Each pullet, cockerel, hen, and cock is evaluated for the best for that group, that is, the best cockerel, the best hen, the best pullet, and the best cock. From the best cockerel, hen, pullet, and cock, the best/reserve in variety is determined. Then the best of each variety is compared to determine the best/reserve in breed. For example ameraucanas, the best variety blue wheaten, wheaten, black, brown-red, buff, and white, etc. would be compared to determine the best/reserve in breed. After the best in breed is determined, all best in breeds in a given class are compared, e.g., American, Asiatic, etc., to determine the best/reserve in class. Once the best in class is determined, these best in classes are compared to determine the best/reserve show champions.

If you bought chickens from a judge, show them. Nothing requires you to identify your source of show birds. A judge is obligated to be as objective as practicable. You are not allowed to talk with the judges while they are doing the judging. Some judges will talk with children who help take notes while they are judging but adults are expected to stand back and not interface with the judges during judging activities.

Hope this helps!

JaJean,

This is essentially the way it works.

Each pullet, cockerel, hen, and cock is evaluated for the best for that group, that is, the best cockerel, the best hen, the best pullet, and the best cock. From the best cockerel, hen, pullet, and cock, the best/reserve in variety is determined. Then the best of each variety is compared to determine the best/reserve in breed. For example ameraucanas, the best variety blue wheaten, wheaten, black, brown-red, buff, and white, etc. would be compared to determine the best/reserve in breed. After the best in breed is determined, all best in breeds in a given class are compared, e.g., American, Asiatic, etc., to determine the best/reserve in class. Once the best in class is determined, these best in classes are compared to determine the best/reserve show champions.

If you bought chickens from a judge, show them. Nothing requires you to identify your source of show birds. A judge is obligated to be as objective as practicable. You are not allowed to talk with the judges while they are doing the judging. Some judges will talk with children who help take notes while they are judging but adults are expected to stand back and not interface with the judges during judging activities.

Hope this helps!

That helped a lot!

I have a question on the reserve placings at the breed level and beyond. Are reserve and best of breed only chosen from the best of variety birds?

If the best of breed is a black Ameraucana, does the reserve (black) variety winner compete for reserve to best of breed? The logic is that the only bird that beat the reserve variety winner was the best of breed winner.

If so, would the bird that was reserve to the best in class at the breed level compete for reserve in class? Would that continue on to best in show or I guess at poultry shows, show champion and reserve show champion. In other words, could you have a black Ameraucana show champion and a black Ameraucana reserve show champion?

I know this isn't a result for an Americauna (it was a Cochin), but can someone translate this for me:
2013 APA National Champion, Northeastern Poultry Congress, January 18-19, 2014.

Thanks so much.

That helped a lot!

I have a question on the reserve placings at the breed level and beyond. Are reserve and best of breed only chosen from the best of variety birds?

If the best of breed is a black Ameraucana, does the reserve (black) variety winner compete for reserve to best of breed? The logic is that the only bird that beat the reserve variety winner was the best of breed winner.

If so, would the bird that was reserve to the best in class at the breed level compete for reserve in class? Would that continue on to best in show or I guess at poultry shows, show champion and reserve show champion. In other words, could you have a black Ameraucana show champion and a black Ameraucana reserve show champion?

I know this isn't a result for an Americauna (it was a Cochin), but can someone translate this for me:
2013 APA National Champion, Northeastern Poultry Congress, January 18-19, 2014.

Thanks so much.

There is no further competition for reserve placings for which I am aware. It is a second place finish and that is the end of its competition in the show. Second place in the best of breed would be another Best in Variety. In my case I had Best Variety and Reserve Variety in Black and Wheaten Ameraucanas and a Best in Variety in Blue Wheaten Ameraucana. in the Virginia Poultry Breeders Association Show on November 23, 2013.

When the Best in Breed as determined, my black ameraucana cockerel won this placing. The Reserve Breed in ameraucanas went to blue ameraucana pullet that was Best Variety for blue ameraucanas. She really was a beautiful bird.

This answers your question with respect to the best in show/reserve in show. I do not believe it is possible for a single breed to do this. Others who have far more show experience than me can chime in.

There is no further competition for reserve placings for which I am aware. It is a second place finish and that is the end of its competition in the show. Second place in the best of breed would be another Best in Variety. In my case I had Best Variety and Reserve Variety in Black and Wheaten Ameraucanas and a Best in Variety in Blue Wheaten Ameraucana. in the Virginia Poultry Breeders Association Show on November 23, 2013.

When the Best in Breed as determined, my black ameraucana cockerel won this placing. The Reserve Breed in ameraucanas went to blue ameraucana pullet that was Best Variety for blue ameraucanas. She really was a beautiful bird.

This answers your question with respect to the best in show/reserve in show. I do not believe it is possible for a single breed to do this. Others who have far more show experience than me can chime in.
That is very similar to dog showing. Best of breeds compete against each other in their respective groups (a group is similar to a Class in poultry) for placings one through four. Group winners compete for Best in Show. No reserve award at the Best in Show level in the US.

It is my understanding that I put my birds in their show cages in the morning, and don't touch them until I take them home? Who makes sure the cage is clean and there is water available? What about fixing messed up feathers or getting poop off their feet during the show?

Thanks so much for explaining all this.

That is very similar to dog showing. Best of breeds compete against each other in their respective groups (a group is similar to a Class in poultry) for placings one through four. Group winners compete for Best in Show. No reserve award at the Best in Show level in the US.

It is my understanding that I put my birds in their show cages in the morning, and don't touch them until I take them home? Who makes sure the cage is clean and there is water available? What about fixing messed up feathers or getting poop off their feet during the show?

Thanks so much for explaining all this.
The show organizers will provide cages and usually some scratch food and water. But you have to place the food and water holders in the cage and provide the food and water to your birds. The show I went to provided disposable plastic cups for use for food and water. Many breeders bring their own. After the show, the organizers break down the cages and clean up. Bird primping and cleanup is the breeder's responsibility.

The show organizers will provide cages and usually some scratch food and water. But you have to place the food and water holders in the cage and provide the food and water to your birds. The show I went to provided disposable plastic cups for use for food and water. Many breeders bring their own. After the show, the organizers break down the cages and clean up. Bird primping and cleanup is the breeder's responsibility.

So, before judging, I can handle my bird and make sure feet are clean and feathers arranged and shaving/sawdust out of feathers?

Can I remove manure throughout the day?

I had thought that I read that once the birds are placed in their cages, I couldn't touch them. I think I read somewhere that it had to do with the possibility of another competitor messing with birds that were not theirs. These are small, local shows as far as I know--at least two are small.

Thanks so much for your insight. I'm sure once I get to the show and go through it once, it will all be very obvious. The two show chairmen/women of my first two shows were very friendly and helpful. I suspect showing poultry at these small local shows will be a lot of fun and not as serious and cut-throat as showing dogs can be.

Back
Top Bottom