Ameraucana thread for posting pictures and discussing our birds

If you look at that lavender cockerel you just posted.... do you really see pointed hackle and saddle feathers like that on her? Her hackles are wide and round and they are that way at the base of her tail.

Can anyone show me a picture on the diffrence of non good breed chick and a good quality breed chick? Im going to hatch out some eggs and only want to keep the desirable
droolin.gif
chicks for adult hood! Thanks!
pop.gif

If you look at that lavender cockerel you just posted.... do you really see pointed hackle and saddle feathers like that on her? Her hackles are wide and round and they are that way at the base of her tail.

I'm confused, DMRippy, which "she" are you talking about? PathWandering's bird black bird posted below?

You refer to the pointed feathers on a Lavender cockerel, do you mean the mature Lavender posted by TheSpoiledChicken? The feathers of a mature cockerel/rooster cannot be compared to the juvenile feathers of a cockerel.

I see the beginnings of pointed feathers on the 11 week old juvenile posted below. The tail looks like it is starting to get long like a cockerel, with that little droop. It doesn't look like the neat wedge a pullet has. It thought the comb was a bit too colored and developed for a pullet. What am I missing?

Quote:

Can anyone show me a picture on the diffrence of non good breed chick and a good quality breed chick? Im going to hatch out some eggs and only want to keep the desirable:drool chicks for adult hood! Thanks!:pop

There is very little you can tell at hatch. You are best to grow them oh and then pick your keepers. Even eggs from SQ stock will hatch all SQ chicks

Even when there are juvenile there is no way to know witch ones to cull or keep?
hu.gif
The breeder of my Ameraucanas (Paul Smith) was always advising me to wait and just grow them out. Right now, I'm growing out 12 from him. I know one, for sure will be culled, a small splash cockerel with a poor tail set. I'll keep all the pullets (5). Of the remaining 6 cockerels, I will make my final decision when I cull them at about 6 months if I have the backbone. I'm the queen of putting off culling cockerels. I need to go through the bunch and start grading them.

My goals and priorities are not necessarily another breeders'. I want to breed blues and splashes. I will be putting a great deal more emphasis on the lacing and color of the blues than the standard puts because I want to improve that.

Back
Top Bottom