Ameraucana thread for posting pictures and discussing our birds

We've gotten a couple chicks today bought as Ameraucanas
I love that they are all so different, I can't wait to watch them grow and change
Is there any way to tell if we have boys or girls???
I have a couple pics of each chick.

How old are they? When mine were a week old I used the tail/no tail method. Theory was that the girls get their tail feathers quicker than the boys. Hard for me to tell here, but looks like #1 has a tail and the other two do not? Mine are 13, going on 14 weeks old and I definitely identified 5 of them correctly. I thought I might have six, and the jury is still out on one.

these are my chicks I hatched out last week

Last edited:
And so our CHicken adventures continue...LOL
Well we'll keep with the photo documentation and see, These guys along with a Old English Game Bantam will be hanging here at the house for another week
so the girls can enjoy them, and they can get used to being handled daily

Thanks I guess I'm off to find a EE thread...LOL

This is a good thread. There might be a couple more. I follow this one the most.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/273489/the-ee-braggers-thread

I couldn't tell for at least 13 weeks but it was because I ended up with 1 roo and 8 pullets and couldn't believe my luck.

Last edited:
A breeder of Ameraucanas told me that they are difficult to figure out as far as gender goes. I think she said sometimes as long as 16 weeks!

The lines with the very small pea combed solid color males are the hard ones. You almost have to wait until they crow or grow in the pointy saddle feathers to tell.

Back
Top Bottom