Ameraucana thread for posting pictures and discussing our birds

Very Pretty!

LL

I posted a few days ago because I was concerned about my Ameraucanas not laying. Well, even though my Wheaten hen used the poop tray, she did lay a nice blue egg. Her egg sits among my Legbar cross eggs. I think she was pretty proud of herself.

I posted a few days ago because I was concerned about my Ameraucanas not laying. Well, even though my Wheaten hen used the poop tray, she did lay a nice blue egg. Her egg sits among my Legbar cross eggs. I think she was pretty proud of herself.

She did a good job!

I just got this 3 mo old Ameraucana pullet. What is this color called? Is this the color she'll be as a hen or will she change as she gets older? Thanks for the help.

Mary Poopins -

from my understanding both parents can be ameraucana's. And the offspring can have all the requirements of a ameraucana ( slate legs, white skin, pea com) but if the feather coloring Is not an approved color it will be a ee. Ameraucana's are one of the only breeds that are like this.

from my understanding both parents can be ameraucana's. And the offspring can have all the requirements of a ameraucana ( slate legs, white skin, pea com) but if the feather coloring Is not an approved color it will be a ee. Ameraucana's are one of the only breeds that are like this.

I think all breeds treat unapproved varieties (color and feather patterns) the same way as the Ameraucana breeders do. The American Poultry Association (APA) approves the varieties (color and feather patterns), and anything that isn't an approved variety doesn't have the necessary breed type to be considered one of the breeds. Varieties are not breed specific. For example, the APA recognizes the variety of Lavender/Self Blue (although I think they have an issue with the name Lavender). That is not an approved variety for Ameraucanas (yet) so you can show a Lavender although you won't get past the Variety (Lavender) judging.

According to the American Poultry Association's Standards of Perfection, "It is imperative that the shape and type be considered of greatest importance, and specimens greatly deficient in breed type should be disqualified as lacking in breed character...." (Page 28, Standards Of Perfection, 2010)

None of the breeder/judges of the other breed I am involved with (bantam Cochins) consider a bird with a disqualification to be a Cochin. In their opinion, they must have breed type to be considered a Cochin.

Any color and/or feather pattern that is not accepted in the Standards of Perfection cannot, by my reading of the SOP, be considered correct type.

Ameraucanas are more than just white skin, slate legs, pea combs, muffs and beards. It wouldn't be such a problem if Easter Eggers--basically a blue-egg laying chicken--weren't sold under the name of the breed, Ameraucana. No other breed that I know of has those kind of identification problems.

I think Araucanas are so unique--rumpless with ear tufts, that Easter Eggers will not be mistaken by novices as Araucanas. I may be mistaken. What developed into the breed o Ameraucana were being shown as Araucanas before Araucanas (and their standard) were accepted by the American Poultry Association.

I've ordered some Araucanas from a breeder that doesn't show but does (according to her web site) breed from good exhibition blood lines. It will be interesting to see what I get. They weren't bought as breeding/show stock--I just wanted a rumpless, blue-egg laying hen. I'll be annoyed if I get a bunch of tailed Easter Eggers in a color that is not an accepted variety.

I think all breeds treat unapproved varieties (color and feather patterns) the same way as the Ameraucana breeders do.  The American Poultry Association (APA) approves the  varieties (color and feather patterns), and anything that isn't an approved variety doesn't have the necessary breed type to be considered one of the breeds.  Varieties are not breed specific.  For example, the APA recognizes the variety of Lavender/Self Blue (although I think they have an issue with the name Lavender).  That is not an approved variety for Ameraucanas (yet) so you can show a Lavender although you won't get past the Variety (Lavender) judging.    

According to the American Poultry Association's Standards of Perfection, "It is imperative that the shape and type be considered of greatest importance, and specimens greatly deficient in breed type should be disqualified as lacking in breed character...." (Page 28, Standards Of Perfection, 2010)

None of the breeder/judges of the other breed I am involved with (bantam Cochins) consider a bird with a disqualification to be a Cochin.  In their opinion, they must have breed type to be considered a Cochin.

Any color and/or feather pattern that is not accepted in the Standards of Perfection cannot, by my reading of the SOP, be considered correct type.

Ameraucanas are more than just white skin, slate legs, pea combs, muffs and beards.  It wouldn't be such a problem if Easter Eggers--basically a blue-egg laying chicken--weren't sold under the name of the breed, Ameraucana.  No other breed that I know of has those kind of identification problems. 

I think Araucanas are so unique--rumpless with ear tufts, that Easter Eggers will not be mistaken by novices as  Araucanas.  I may be mistaken.  What developed into the breed o Ameraucana were being shown as Araucanas before Araucanas (and their standard) were accepted by the American Poultry Association.

I've ordered some Araucanas from a breeder that doesn't show but does (according to her web site) breed from good exhibition blood lines.  It will be interesting to see what I get.  They weren't bought as breeding/show stock--I just wanted a rumpless, blue-egg laying hen.  I'll be annoyed if I get a bunch of tailed Easter Eggers in a color that is not an accepted variety.

Thanks you guys for all the info. I really appreciate all of your knowledge & input. I didn't buy her to show or for breeding - I just wanted a pullet that lays large blue eggs. I have several EEs but they lay green eggs.

Just curious... are these two birds Easter eggers or Ameraucanas? They were sold to me as Ameraucanas but I have a feeling they probably are not. If they are, what variety/color would they be?

Back
Top Bottom