Ameraucana thread for posting pictures and discussing our birds

JediJinx - they are beautiful birds and quite popular but no they are not ameraucanas and they won't lay blue eggs. They often lay greenish eggs but can lay any color since they are mixes.

Thanks, so I am assuming they will probably not lay blue eggs then? Sorry, don't know much about easter eggers!
I have a EE hen that looks like that and she lays a big beautiful blue egg. My other ee hen lays a very pretty green egg. My two AMs that have started laying, one lays a minty green egg and the other a very light blue shiny egg.

Thanks you guys for all the info. I really appreciate all of your knowledge & input. I didn't buy her to show or for breeding - I just wanted a pullet that lays large blue eggs. I have several EEs but they lay green eggs.
I have EE that lay pure pale blue eggs and I have purebred Ameraucana from show winning lines that lay green. There are a lot of factors to egg color.

I have EE that lay pure pale blue eggs and I have purebred Ameraucana from show winning lines that lay green. There are a lot of factors to egg color.
Well, that is why everyone says you need to cull and improve your stock. I only hatch the blueist eggs to keep my males from. If that is all you have is green eggs then you need to keep the best type and work on the egg color if not successful you need to get a male from someone that comes from good colored blue eggs eventually. This is an ongoing situation of breeding the best you can. Ameraucanas generally produce a good % of quality birds I have experienced. I generally say you get 10% of the hatch that have improved over the breeding pen that you use. Other breeds that I have if I get 1-5 per 100 out of the Araucanas if I am very lucky. My Orps produce quality offsprings but I have been working on them for about 8 years so they are finally producing a good % of quality birds now but in the beginning the % was close to the 10% for replacement improvement quality. The more you hatch you will see an improvement but if you only hatch 10 chicks expect only about 1 as a keeper. Good luck and have fun this is a very delightful hobby.

Thanks for the info. There is really no good reason I want blue eggs other than I really like blue & I've never seen a blue egg. I love all my girls no matter what color egg they lay.

Well, that is why everyone says you need to cull and improve your stock. I only hatch the blueist eggs to keep my males from. If that is all you have is green eggs then you need to keep the best type and work on the egg color if not successful you need to get a male from someone that comes from good colored blue eggs eventually. This is an ongoing situation of breeding the best you can. Ameraucanas generally produce a good % of quality birds I have experienced. I generally say you get 10% of the hatch that have improved over the breeding pen that you use. Other breeds that I have if I get 1-5 per 100 out of the Araucanas if I am very lucky. My Orps produce quality offsprings but I have been working on them for about 8 years so they are finally producing a good % of quality birds now but in the beginning the % was close to the 10% for replacement improvement quality. The more you hatch you will see an improvement but if you only hatch 10 chicks expect only about 1 as a keeper. Good luck and have fun this is a very delightful hobby.

That is what I intended to do. Most blue eggs and good size. Of course, I want the chicks to be pretty too, as in appropriate colors.

Absolutely! I think I must have decent type; my black K was Reserve AOSB and my blue was Show Reserve, AZ state fair. (tho I will say that there are not as many knowledgeable and serious breeders showing there as at the show I'm going to next weekend, but the breeder I got my hatching eggs from was there.....)

I am still learning Ameraucana type and culling points; I almost left that blue K at home! These two did hatch from nice large, tho pale blue eggs so hoping the next generation is a little more blue.

I have a color question for every one. I have a pair of blue Ameraucanas, I want blue wheaten. I know how blue works, you cross two blues and you could get blue black or splash. I assume Blue wheaten and wheaten are separate colors from blue. Are blues crossed with wheatens to make blue wheaten or is the process for getting blue wheaten totally different?

Thank you!

I have a color question for every one.  I have a pair of blue Ameraucanas, I want blue wheaten.  I know how blue works, you cross two blues and you could get blue black or splash.  I assume Blue wheaten and wheaten are separate colors from blue.  Are blues crossed with wheatens to make blue wheaten or is the process for getting blue wheaten totally different?

Thank you!

If you were to breed a blue and a wheaten together you would get an unaccepted color. I do not breed wheatens, but I do believe if you put blue wheaten where the blue is, wheaten were the black is, and splash wheaten where the splash is you will see there outcomes. In the end no you should not breed blue to wheaten to get blue wheaten. You need to find a good source of blue wheatens and start from there

Back
Top Bottom