Ameraucana thread for posting pictures and discussing our birds

Can someone explain what pure black, no blue means? Does that mean blacks from black to black breeding for how many generations? I have three beautiful black hens, but no black cockerel. I only have blue cockerels. What does that mean for their offspring? Do I need to obtain a black cockerel for breeding blacks?

This is a newbie to Ameraucana question. In all my reading, I have not seen an explanation.

Can someone explain what pure black, no blue means?  Does that mean blacks from black to black breeding for how many generations?   I have three beautiful black hens, but no black cockerel.  I only have blue cockerels.  What does that mean for their offspring?  Do I need to obtain a black cockerel for breeding blacks?

This is a newbie to Ameraucana question.  In all my reading, I have not seen an explanation.

It means from a black to black breeding. I don't know for how man generations though. When I buy blacks now that is one f the first thing I ask. As well for y blues I want them from blue I blue breedings. You don't have to have a black cockerel. You can use blue if you want-all is up to you.

Blue in chickens is a recessive lightening gene. A dose of double blue will create splash chicks, but they are all the same type genetically, which is why you see them referred to as BBS or black blue splash. This illustration will help show how it works.

Last edited:
What a shame! I am surprised she gave them up! Have you looked on the ABC breeders directory? I think I remember someone else in California who raises the whites.
Yes I was checking there...it seems the other breeders are all in Northern California. There is the lady I got my pullets from but I really want to get a roo or additional hatching eggs from a different breeder (more for diversity than any problem with the pullets). I should check Nevada and Arizona too now that I think about it, though.

Yes I was checking there...it seems the other breeders are all in Northern California. There is the lady I got my pullets from but I really want to get a roo or additional hatching eggs from a different breeder (more for diversity than any problem with the pullets). I should check Nevada and Arizona too now that I think about it, though.
Ok I found Bridget Riddle on the list...she's about 6 hour drive away but since there is another person breeding near her Birchen Marans (another project, lol) I might be able to make it a trip to visit both. Is she on BYC? She has no email listed, just a phone number.

Ok I found Bridget Riddle on the list...she's about 6 hour drive away but since there is another person breeding near her Birchen Marans (another project, lol) I might be able to make it a trip to visit both. Is she on BYC? She has no email listed, just a phone number.
I think that is the person NoseyChickens got her whites from originally. I don't know if she is on BYC.

Blue in chickens is a recessive lightening gene. A dose of double blue will create splash chicks, but they are all the same type genetically, which is why you see them referred to as BBS or black blue splash. This illustration will help show how it works.

Blue is dominant . Self blue (lavender) is recessive .

Back
Top Bottom