Ameraucana thread for posting pictures and discussing our birds

Any experience with broody Ameraucanas?
I have a 9 month old hen who went broody 2 days ago. This is my first experience with a broody hen. I put her in a large dog crate to keep her out of the nest box. Because it is so cold here in New Hampshire I had to move the crate to our basement so her water would not freeze. She is still puffed out, pulling out her breast feathers, and not eating, or pooping for that matter. What would you recommend beyond what I have done?

If you have one, try a wire bottom cage. That usually works for my Silkies.

Thanks! You have all been so helpful!

I am in contact with her now... She actually has some young cockerels available that I am looking into now. Waiting for pictures. =)
Good luck and glad the recommendation helped!! We actually got a few of those cockerels when we went to see her. They are nice. My kids picked them out =)

Good luck and glad the recommendation helped!! We actually got a few of those cockerels when we went to see her. They are nice. My kids picked them out =)

Thanks! I'm ordering a Wheaten and a Blue Wheaten! I only wanted one, but I was told that they do better in pairs for shipping (for warmth and company) so I'm getting both! They're the PERFECT age, only about a month younger than my girls... So I'll quarantine them for a bit to stay on the safe side, and then hopefully, my girls will respond well and the cockerels will learn some manners and eventually one or both will earn mating privilages down the road.

I'm so excited! Sure, I loved the thought of hatching and raising my own roo... but that experience with my last clutch of eggs was a real bummer. I think, for me, this is the best way to go. No hatching stress, no possibility of the wrong breed, etc.

Here's a picture I was sent of the boys:

I think I'll name the blue wheaten Lannister and the blue one Stark or Targaryen.

Last edited:
Thanks! I'm ordering a Blue and a Blue Wheaten! I only wanted one, but I was told that they do better in pairs for shipping (for warmth and company) so I'm getting both! They're the PERFECT age, only about a month younger than my girls... So I'll quarantine them for a bit to stay on the safe side, and then hopefully, my girls will respond well and the cockerels will learn some manners and eventually one or both will earn mating privilages down the road.

I'm so excited! Sure, I loved the thought of hatching and raising my own roo... but that experience with my last clutch of eggs was a real bummer. I think, for me, this is the best way to go. No hatching stress, no possibility of the wrong breed, etc.

Here's a picture I was sent of the boys:

I think I'll name the blue wheaten Lannister and the blue one Stark or Targaryen.
I'm sure you will really like them!! Ours were sooo calm and sweet, I was astounded!! These were my first Ameraucanas, first anything aside from the English Orps we had last year and the difference in temperament is crazy. Of course they are a bit more wary now they have had some exposure to my kids but still a HUGE improvement over the Orpingtons. These are our 2 boys; Sven is the Blue Wheaten & Mikey is the Wheaten. I really like Sven the BW.

I'm sure you will really like them!! Ours were sooo calm and sweet, I was astounded!! These were my first Ameraucanas, first anything aside from the English Orps we had last year and the difference in temperament is crazyOf course they are a bit more wary now they have had some exposure to my kids but still a HUGE improvement over the Orpingtons. These are our 2 boys; Sven is the Blue Wheaten & Mikey is the Wheaten. I really like Sven the BW.

Those are great pictures, I love them! I'm getting more and more excited! What hansdome fellas, thanks for sharing. I've been hearing that they can be very quiet and docile compared to other chickens, so here's hoping!

I forget to check in here... what a lovely surprise to see so many wonderful comments! I'm thrilled you all are so happy with your birds.
hugs.gif

I forget to check in here... what a lovely surprise to see so many wonderful comments! I'm thrilled you all are so happy with your birds.
hugs.gif

Good breeders can be hard to find and I am always happy to recommend one when I can
hugs.gif

We love our roosters.

Quiet hasn't been my experience. Duke and Louie both like to crow. Docile now, yes. My silkie boys beat up the large fowl wheaten boys who now do everything in their power to stay away from the silkie horde.

Mine do not crow just yet so I cannot comment on that, but they are quiet so far. I'm sure that will change
big_smile.png

Thanks! I'm ordering a Blue and a Blue Wheaten! I only wanted one, but I was told that they do better in pairs for shipping (for warmth and company) so I'm getting both! They're the PERFECT age, only about a month younger than my girls... So I'll quarantine them for a bit to stay on the safe side, and then hopefully, my girls will respond well and the cockerels will learn some manners and eventually one or both will earn mating privilages down the road. I'm so excited! Sure, I loved the thought of hatching and raising my own roo... but that experience with my last clutch of eggs was a real bummer. I think, for me, this is the best way to go. No hatching stress, no possibility of the wrong breed, etc. Here's a picture I was sent of the boys: I think I'll name the blue wheaten Lannister and the blue one Stark or Targaryen.
Where's the blue one? Those are wheatens and blue wheatens in that pic.

Back
Top Bottom