Ameraucana thread for posting pictures and discussing our birds

@chickee More than the d'Anvers and Silkies!?
ep.gif
Seems like it may be worth giving the AMs a try since you speak so highly of them. Your AMs are beautiful! I was kind of hoping to get one breed or the other since I figure the more birds I get of whatever breed the more choices I have as far as picking breeders, but I will certainly consider getting some of each breed. Thanks a bunch for your input.
yesss.gif

@chickee More than the d'Anvers and Silkies!?
ep.gif
Seems like it may be worth giving the AMs a try since you speak so highly of them. Your AMs are beautiful! I was kind of hoping to get one breed or the other since I figure the more birds I get of whatever breed the more choices I have as far as picking breeders, but I will certainly consider getting some of each breed. Thanks a bunch for your input.
yesss.gif

Of the "bantam" breeds, d'Anvers and Silkies are my favorites. Of the Large fowl breeds, Ameraucanas are my favorites. I have been breeding them for 4+ years and the wheaten/blue wheatens remain my favorites.

Yes I do see it now. I had no idea what I was looking for before so I didn't get it, but when JunebugGena commented near each photo with a more detailed description of what was wrong I definitely understood and saw it.

How do you like Paul Smiths birds? How are they as far as temperament? I don't particularly love the AMs from my very limited experience with them, but I am interested in colored eggs so I may try and get some nicer quality AMs or I may look into another blue/green egg layer... possibly legbars. I know Paul raises both these breeds. I would like to find a blue egg laying breed of good quality and temperament that I love and enjoy having around. Think I should give the AMs another shot or try a different breed altogether?  :/  

Thanks for the response... much appreciated.
So far I love the birds. They are calming down at about 5 months old. Aside from the two leaky blues, the rest are beautiful. The blacks are amazing, and all have really full beards. This is my first go around with AMs, so I don't know how they compare to others. They aren't as docile as my marans, but they are beautiful birds

So far I love the birds. They are calming down at about 5 months old. Aside from the two leaky blues, the rest are beautiful. The blacks are amazing, and all have really full beards. This is my first go around with AMs, so I don't know how they compare to others. They aren't as docile as my marans, but they are beautiful birds
My Ameraucana cockerel is 8 weeks and is more docile than most birds I've had including my BCMs. He's going to be my top bird over my mixed hen flock, so he has to be a good one. He is named B.B. and has been a lap chick so far.

are my chickens americauna or Easter riggers? The breeder I got them from said they were

I know someone who decided to throw all her different colored pure Ameraucanas in one breeding pen so that the offspring were mutts but in her eyes the offspring were Ameraucanas since the parents were all Amer's. Yes, they were offspring from pure Ameraucana parents but the offspring could only be classified as Easter Eggers because the 8 SOP color varieties were not bred pure. I believe only B/B/S can be kept in the same breeding pen.

I know someone who decided to throw all her different colored pure Ameraucanas in one breeding pen so that the offspring were mutts but in her eyes the offspring were Ameraucanas since the parents were all Amer's.  Yes, they were offspring from pure Ameraucana parents but the offspring could only be classified as Easter Eggers because the 8 SOP color varieties were not bred pure.  I believe only B/B/S can be kept in the same breeding pen.

That's how I understand it too, and I think it happens often. B/B/S will still breed true (predictable offspring feather color, body shape, and egg color) when in the same pen.

I have 7 purebred blue and black ameraucana's from a breeder. They are around 8-9 weeks old (I think). I only see an obvious 3 rows on one chicks comb (who happens to be the smallest). Surely I couldn't be that lucky! Is it too early to tell sex?

A more obvious clue would be comb color at this stage. Who has the pink or red colored combs? Those would be the males. Females generally stay pale until they get ready to lay. That is a good way to tell, but anemia from worms or coccidiosis could throw that off. But they would likely be very ill looking if that was the case.

Back
Top Bottom