Ameraucana thread for posting pictures and discussing our birds

Of course they arent lol. Why so serious..

Because this is also a forum to learn the differences between a true Ameraucana and an Easter Egger. Even a flippant response may lead one to believe their EE is an actual AM. There are people that join this forum so they can identify the difference when purchasing their first AMs. To perpetuate, even jokingly, that an EE is an AM, does a disservice to the people wanting to educate themselves on the characteristics of the breed. They may see your post of "Nice Wheatens" but miss the post that states you're joking.

Of course they arent lol. Why so serious..

Because this is also a forum to learn the differences between a true Ameraucana and an Easter Egger. Even a flippant response may lead one to believe their EE is an actual AM. There are people that join this forum so they can identify the difference when purchasing their first AMs. To perpetuate, even jokingly, that an EE is an AM, does a disservice to the people wanting to educate themselves on the characteristics of the breed. They may see your post of "Nice Wheatens" but miss the post that states you're joking.
I understand both points of view about a humorous comment and about it possibly misleading a newbie into thinking they really have true Ameraucanas.

I feel sad about owners that call their EEs as Ameraucanas because they might've been duped by a hatchery or a feed store or a private breeder into thinking their birds are true Ameraucanas only to sadly find they only have EEs. Not that there is anything whatsoever wrong with EEs because EEs CAN lay just as blue an egg as an APA Ameraucana.

But it quietly disgruntles me that I paid 3x more for my pure Blue Wheaten Ameraucana from a show breeder while people throw photos of their feed store hatchery EEs on the Ameraucana thread through no fault of their own because they truly don't realize there is a difference. I am getting really frustrated that the popular online hatcheries continue to call their EEs as Easter Egger/Americanas/Ameraucanas/Araucanas as if that justifiies duping a newbie into thinking an EE and an Ameraucana are the same breed and they are NOT. Ask any private breeder who has taken months or years of their lives to perfect their true APA Ameraucanas how they feel about seeing EE mutt photos on this thread. It bothers me that the poor BYC online poster has been mislead to think EEs are the same thing as APA Ameraucanas/or APA Araucanas.

I refuse to purchase any birds of any breed from any hatchery, feed store, or private breeder that advertises their EEs as EE/Americana or EE/Ameraucana or EE/Ameraucana/Araucana or makes any association with the breeds as being one and the same because the sellers are clearly and purposely duping unknowing customers into a trick sale. Hatcheries truly must be aware of their false advertising and have been numerously told to cease and desist the misleading references yet many continue making similarity references between EEs and APA Ameraucanas and APA Araucanas. Some morally uprighjt hatcheries and chicken brokers are slowly shifting to distinguish their EEs from true Ameraucanas and sell them as separate breeds but the large volume hatcheries are still misleading by calling their EEs as EE/Americana or EE/Ameraucana/Araucana.

Many times the difference in price tells you whether you have an inexpensive EE or a costlier APA Ameraucana. But even that theory has shifted lately as many sellers are beginning to charge as much for their EEs as if they are pure-bred Ameraucana. Buyer beware and research the difference. It is very easy to go to the Ameraucana.org breed site to see a Gallery of photos of the 8 accepted APA Ameraucana varieties.

I feel you there, but if my one post is the cause for someone to buy a non-standardized bird then maybe they should stick to EE until they have a better understanding of the breed. I mean come on, they are just chickens 8)

I feel you there, but if my one post is the cause for someone to buy a non-standardized bird then maybe they should stick to EE until they have a better understanding of the breed. I mean come on, they are just chickens 8)

All chicken breeds are "just chickens" except to a serious breeder who spends months or years perfecting their Ameraucanas to fit APA SOP. Breeding is a pretty serious thing for some show breeders and just a casual hobby for others. I mean, APA SOP is so serious for some breeders I had one actually apologize to me because their Blue Wheatens layed a light blue egg rather than a deeper blue egg. And then to go on an Ameraucana thread and see EE eggs of blue, green, pink, brown, tinted, or white eggs is misleading newbies into thinking that's what true Ameraucanas lay.

Our posts are bringing this to the attention of many EE owners what the significant difference is between EEs and Amer's since this is an AMERAUCANA THREAD. I blame it on the hatcheries, brokers, feed stores, and private breeders who mislabel their EEs as the blue-green Americana/Ameraucana/Araucana in one breath as if they are all the same breed and they are NOT. It's like the Dominique Thread - people on that thread want it clarified that Barred Rocks are not the same breed as Doms. At one point in history they may have come from the same history but have gone through such transformation over decades that they are separate APA breeds and breeders bring it to our attention as often as this Ameraucana thread brings it to our attention that EEs are not the same as Ameraucanas. Get used to it because this dialog will probably continue until the general populace understands it. This is an Ameraucana thread LOL!!!

All chicken breeds are "just chickens" except to a serious breeder who spends months or years perfecting their Ameraucanas to fit APA SOP. Breeding is a pretty serious thing for some show breeders and just a casual hobby for others. I mean, APA SOP is so serious for some breeders I had one actually apologize to me because their Blue Wheatens layed a light blue egg rather than a deeper blue egg. And then to go on an Ameraucana thread and see EE eggs of blue, green, pink, brown, tinted, or white eggs is misleading newbies into thinking that's what true Ameraucanas lay.

Our posts are bringing this to the attention of many EE owners what the significant difference is between EEs and Amer's since this is an AMERAUCANA THREAD. I blame it on the hatcheries, brokers, feed stores, and private breeders who mislabel their EEs as the blue-green Americana/Ameraucana/Araucana in one breath as if they are all the same breed and they are NOT. It's like the Dominique Thread - people on that thread want it clarified that Barred Rocks are not the same breed as Doms. At one point in history they may have come from the same history but have gone through such transformation over decades that they are separate APA breeds and breeders bring it to our attention as often as this Ameraucana thread brings it to our attention that EEs are not the same as Ameraucanas. Get used to it because this dialog will probably continue until the general populace understands it. This is an Ameraucana thread LOL!!!

Well Said!

All chicken breeds are "just chickens" except to a serious breeder who spends months or years perfecting their Ameraucanas to fit APA SOP.  Breeding is a pretty serious thing for some show breeders and just a casual hobby for others.  I mean, APA SOP is so serious for some breeders I had one actually apologize to me because their Blue Wheatens layed a light blue egg rather than a deeper blue egg.  And then to go on an Ameraucana thread and see EE eggs of blue, green, pink, brown, tinted, or white eggs is misleading newbies into thinking that's what true Ameraucanas lay. 

Our posts are bringing this to the attention of many EE owners what the significant difference is between EEs and Amer's since this is an AMERAUCANA THREAD.  I blame it on the hatcheries, brokers, feed stores, and private breeders who mislabel their EEs as the blue-green Americana/Ameraucana/Araucana in one breath as if they are all the same breed and they are NOT.  It's like the Dominique Thread - people on that thread want it clarified that Barred Rocks are not the same breed as Doms.  At one point in history they may have come from the same history but have gone through such transformation over decades that they are separate APA breeds and breeders bring it to our attention as often as this Ameraucana thread brings it to our attention that EEs are not the same as Ameraucanas.  Get used to it because this dialog will probably continue until the general populace understands it.  This is an Ameraucana thread LOL!!!
I love my Easter Eggars, I always have, but this thread is what made me seek out real Ameraucanas. My first flock of Paul Smith should start laying any day now, and I am so excited to work with these birds. These are my first breeder quality chickens, and there is no comparison to the hatchery birds I bought before

Ive been seriously raising and perfecting my chickens for 4 years, I spend time with them everyday and I strive for my line to fit the SOP.
BUT they are still just chickens, no matter how pure and perfected your chicken is, it is still just a chicken. A hobby, an egg source, a meat provider, a pet, a friend, a chicken.
My hands are clean on this issue, didnt mean to get anyone's feathers up in a bunch hehe... goodnight mates

Back
Top Bottom