Ameraucana thread for posting pictures and discussing our birds

I hate to interrupt this thread for this as I know it's probably not the place, but I'm getting increasingly desperate to find hatching eggs locally. I've checked all the channels I know and am coming up empty handed. Looking for a breeder in the Atlanta area (Wheaten is my first choice but at this point I'm flexible)...if anyone could PM me info I would be so greatly appreciative.

Was going to buy from Muddy Feathers and still may if I can't find locally, but we're going with an incubator that only fits 7 and I'm worried about hatch rate and sex split with such small numbers.

I don't know what state you are in, but if you haven't already checked the Ameraucana Breeders Club directory, then you might want to try that. We currently have nearly 300 active members with listings all over the country, as well as in Canada. The link is in my signature. :)

Pics of my girls being cute today...they were pretending they were interested in the grass at my feet, but really I think they just wanted to hang out with me. The wyandotte girls are bullies and they know I won't hurt them, so they do this a lot. I love that they feel safe with me. My ams are my favorites
1f60d.png

Nora, my sweet girl:

And Cora, the shy one:

Aren't ams just the best? Never thought I'd love them so much! They're both perfect little ladies who mind their manners and never rock the boat. I can't wait to have more! Quick question though: are your roos/cockerels/cocks as well mannered as your girls? I plan on getting a couple boys this week from my breeder, and I was wondering if they'd be sweet gentlemen to go with my sweet ladies. Anyone have any roos with behavior problems? I have three kids, so I want sweet boys who won't cause any problems.

ETA: Wow, just noticed Cora's comb is looking pretty red today...maybe I'll be getting some lovely blue eggs soon...?

Last edited:
I don't know what state you are in, but if you haven't already checked the Ameraucana Breeders Club directory, then you might want to try that. We currently have nearly 300 active members with listings all over the country, as well as in Canada. The link is in my signature. :)

Thanks so much! Found a couple on this list that weren't on the other one I'd seen.

Pics of my girls being cute today...they were pretending they were interested in the grass at my feet, but really I think they just wanted to hang out with me. The wyandotte girls are bullies and they know I won't hurt them, so they do this a lot. I love that they feel safe with me. My ams are my favorites
1f60d.png

Nora, my sweet girl:

And Cora, the shy one:

Aren't ams just the best? Never thought I'd love them so much! They're both perfect little ladies who mind their manners and never rock the boat. I can't wait to have more! Quick question though: are your roos/cockerels/cocks as well mannered as your girls? I plan on getting a couple boys this week from my breeder, and I was wondering if they'd be sweet gentlemen to go with my sweet ladies. Anyone have any roos with behavior problems? I have three kids, so I want sweet boys who won't cause any problems.

ETA: Wow, just noticed Cora's comb is looking pretty red today...maybe I'll be getting some lovely blue eggs soon...?

Hello. Ameraucanas are the sweetest, aren't they. Mine get alone very well and don't 'rock the boat' either. I have a six month old Wheaten cockerel that is very gentle. The closest he's ever done to challenge me is give me 'the eye' or cackle a little if one of his flock doesn't want to be picked up. He never charges at me of the kids. I've even seen him grooming the pullet's beards. My Black Ameraucana with leakage is very sweet too. He and the older wheaten never fight despite sharing a pen.

Susan (@samouw ) has had one bad experience with a prized Cockbird, but I think that was an isolated event. All of my Ameraucanas come from her and they are just the sweetest chickens I've ever seen. I recommend that you handle them often when they're young though, or they can become flighty and standoff-ish.

Ok, thanks for sharing your experiences. Mine come from Paul Smith lines, so I'm hoping his boys tend to be well behaved. From such a reputable breeder, I feel pretty safe in assuming they would be sweet. I just wanted to know if any of you had had any bad experiences. I had an EE cock who was very sweet. He lived to be cuddled and loved on. I hope I get a boy that's just as sweet as him, since he died just about a month ago, I really wanted another roo for my girls, because I'm now obsessed with the idea of hatching my own eggs, and really want them to be real am babies, so decided to go with an am roo, plus I can breed him to my wyandottes and get some awesome OEs! Thanks for your info, and wish me luck finding a good "suitor" for my girls!!!
ETA: I've been toying around with the idea of doing a laced am project, so I might be able to get that started, as well!! I'm super excited. Too bad he'll be a baby when I get him...I'll have to wait quite a while for fertile eggs...

Last edited:
Hello. Ameraucanas are the sweetest, aren't they. Mine get alone very well and don't 'rock the boat' either. I have a six month old Wheaten cockerel that is very gentle. The closest he's ever done to challenge me is give me 'the eye' or cackle a little if one of his flock doesn't want to be picked up. He never charges at me of the kids. I've even seen him grooming the pullet's beards. My Black Ameraucana with leakage is very sweet too. He and the older wheaten never fight despite sharing a pen.

Susan (@samouw ) has had one bad experience with a prized Cockbird, but I think that was an isolated event. All of my Ameraucanas come from her and they are just the sweetest chickens I've ever seen. I recommend that you handle them often when they're young though, or they can become flighty and standoff-ish.

That was an isolated event and still upsets me today. :(

However, having that one bad experience makes me appreciate the rest of my birds even more. Especially the wheatens and blue wheatens - that temperament is worth all the work that goes into those two varieties. I love my blacks and the blues, but those wheatens will always hold a special place here at Sand Castles Farm.

Susan, I hope I didn't put you on the spot. We all know that even the most famous breeders have cull birds. Your Ameraucanas are amazing and I'd recommend you to anyone looking for a reputable breeder!
I am coming in at the tail end of this but is it about culling a "mean" rooster?

Susan, I hope I didn't put you on the spot. We all know that even the most famous breeders have cull birds. Your Ameraucanas are amazing and I'd recommend you to anyone looking for a reputable breeder!

Oh no, not at all! If sharing those experiences means someone else avoids it, it's all good! :)

Back
Top Bottom