Ameraucana thread for posting pictures and discussing our birds

My Marans and Susan's Am eggs.
Ahhh...that makes me feel better. Just needed some pretty eggs to look at while I wait for my girls to start. Of course, now I'm even more excited about my Marans that are coming this week!!! Gorgeous eggs!!!
1f60d.png

That was an isolated event and still upsets me today. :( 

However, having that one bad experience makes me appreciate the rest of my birds even more.  Especially the wheatens and blue wheatens - that temperament is worth all the work that goes into those two varieties.  I love my blacks and the blues, but those wheatens will always hold a special place here at Sand Castles Farm.

Thanks for saying that. Makes me feel a lot more confident about the bw roo I plan on getting. I'm so sorry to hear that your one guy killed a hen!! There's bad seeds in every breed, I'm sure. Glad to hear you've got some good boys now, though! Do you have pics of your eggs? I'd love to see some bw eggs!!!
1f600.png

And I agree. My EE roo did try to challenge me a couple times. He pecked me once, so I poked him in the face, and he never tried it again. Pretty sure I pecked him harder...
1f61c.png
After that, he knew I was boss and want gonna put up with his nonsense. As long as you catch it in time, I think most bad behavior can be remedied or avoided. Just my opinion, though. I've only had two roos in my life, and the first one was the same as my EE, only tried challenging me once, then never again. Maybe I've just been lucky...

How do you tell the difference?

True Ameraucanas, for one thing, only come in a few accepted color varieties, which are:

Black, Blue, Blue Wheaten, Brown Red, Buff, Silver, Wheaten & White

There are other traits that denote an Ameraucana, such as they have only slate legs, never green or yellow. If I see green legs or yellow legs, I know it is an Easter Egger. If it has a wild plumage pattern like you normally see on most hatchery Easter Eggers, you know.

If you go here, there are photos of those colors in male, female, large fowl and bantam included. http://ameraucanaalliance.org/photos.html

Thanks for saying that. Makes me feel a lot more confident about the bw roo I plan on getting. I'm so sorry to hear that your one guy killed a hen!! There's bad seeds in every breed, I'm sure. Glad to hear you've got some good boys now, though! Do you have pics of your eggs? I'd love to see some bw eggs!!!
1f600.png

Hmm, I think I have a few pictures on here, but it is black and wheaten/blue wheaten (with an occasional turkey or Marans egg). Let me see if I can find it, although I'll say that pictures of blue eggs don't usually do them justice and different monitors will display the eggs differently, so it's not really a true representation of what the eggs look like. :)

Back
Top Bottom