Ameraucana thread for posting pictures and discussing our birds

i have three blue egg layers. one black, one gold who looks like a re sex link but who i saw lay a blue egg and one sort of double laced brown and black. the black on has a pea comb and is probably pure but the other two have single combs. does this make them easter eggers or could they still be pure. i'm new to these birds so i don't know the breed standards. i bought them randomly, but i like them. at least one of them gives me an egg a day. making them better layer than any of my other birds who consist of leghorns, RIRs and red sexlinks. so could someone who has raised americanas tell me there standards?

thumbsup.gif

I don't think there is anything more dangerous than a terrified domestic animal...

Absolutely!!!
When I said earlier that it's good to handle chickens often when they're young, I meant in a respectful way - let them step onto your hand, let them hop back into the brooder when they want to. I don't believe in causing an animal to feel panicked. That creates fear, and I totally agree that there isn't "anything more dangerous than a terrified domestic animal".

i have three blue egg layers.  one black, one gold who looks like a re sex link but who i saw lay a blue egg and one sort of double laced brown and black.  the black on has a pea comb and is probably pure but the other two have single combs.  does this make them easter eggers or could they still be pure.  i'm new to these birds so i don't know the breed standards. i bought them randomly, but i like them.  at least one of them gives me an egg a day.  making them better layer than any of my other birds who consist of leghorns, RIRs and red sexlinks.  so could someone who has raised americanas tell me there standards?

The only one of those that meets any of the accepted color varieties of Ameraucanas would be the black. But, with single combs, they are not Ameraucana. Ameraucana should have a pea comb.

You can read a short version of the APA Standard for Ameraucanas at AmeraucanaBreedersClub.org.

True Ameraucanas, for one thing, only come in a few accepted color varieties, which are:

Black, Blue, Blue Wheaten, Brown Red, Buff, Silver, Wheaten & White

There are other traits that denote an Ameraucana, such as they have only slate legs, never green or yellow. If I see green legs or yellow legs, I know it is an Easter Egger. If it has a wild plumage pattern like you normally see on most hatchery Easter Eggers, you know.

If you go here, there are photos of those colors in male, female, large fowl and bantam included. http://ameraucanaalliance.org/photos.html

Thanks.mine must be EE.they were given to me by a friend that loves hatching and raising chicks.

Absolutely!!!

When I said earlier that it's good to handle chickens often when they're young, I meant in a respectful way - let them step onto your hand, let them hop back into the brooder when they want to. I don't believe in causing an animal to feel panicked. That creates fear, and I totally agree that there isn't "anything more dangerous than a terrified domestic animal".

Oh, I didn't mean to imply you were! I hope you didn't take it that way...

I just meant that it seems more common to hear about cockerels that were lap pets that turned aggressive... so I prefer a lot more hands off approach until they mature... :)

Nope... understanding how and what they see, and interpret their surroundings goes a long way in figuring out why an animal can turn aggressive... some are just hardwired differently I think, but with many I feel management and understanding go a long way... they don't see things or process things the same way we do... rather than anthropomorphizing them, I prefer to try to see from their level and perspective...

I cannot recommend enough for anyone with any animals, pets or breeders, to read the books by Temple Grandin... Animals in Translation, Animals Make Us Human, Thinking in Pictures and her Humane Livestock Handling and Transporting books are a wealth of information into understanding them and learning why they do a lot of things they do...

Just my .02
hide.gif

Worth WAY more than $0.02
big_smile.png
What was obvious to her eluded most every person raising animals. Some of it is SO obvious ... when she points it out, then you say DOH!

I read a lot of her others too, lol... I can understand her thinking better than I can most other peoples...
hu.gif

We await your first book @RavynFallen
wink.png

Not sure if this is full blood Americauna but I am more curious on whether or not she is a cockerel or a pulled? Can someone help please. I call her a her because she has made no attempt to crow. Thank you.

Back
Top Bottom