Ameraucana thread for posting pictures and discussing our birds

Pullets can sell for $10 to $15, cockerels can be hard to even give away.

Thank you so much for the information. I think i have a pair but really have no idea so I am selling these first two as straight run. My broody doesn't like the splash colored ones so I am not going to be keep any of them. I need to free up some space so I can have an open pen for breeding.

Curious, you take your birds to auction? What kind of auction, like like a general livestock auction? Or a specific poultry auction?

I take all my culls and extra boys that don't sell to a general livestock auction we have nearby... all that go, never come back, no exceptions... sometimes they do really well and sometimes it's just worth it to cut down on the extra mouths to feed...

I sold six 10 week old blue Ameraucanas the other day for $15 each. five were pullets and one was a cockerel.

I paid $50 plus shipping and waited 7 months for the order to be filled -- for one gorgeous 3-month Blue Ameraucana pullet who arrived so riddled with cocci and worms the vet couldn't save her. Know your breeder well -- buyer beware. I mostly only trust BYCers now!

I paid $50 plus shipping and waited 7 months for the order to be filled -- for one gorgeous 3-month Blue Ameraucana pullet who arrived so riddled with cocci and worms the vet couldn't save her. Know your breeder well -- buyer beware. I mostly only trust BYCers now!

Wow that's awful!! I am sorry to hear that. I am working on getting a breading program up and running as soon as my hatchings grow up. They are currently 9-10 weeks old. I am only getting rid of my splashes right now because they are not what I am wanting to breed for showing and my broody hen didn't like them. She only liked the blacks and very dark blues.

Wow that's awful!! I am sorry to hear that. I am working on getting a breading program up and running as soon as my hatchings grow up. They are currently 9-10 weeks old. I am only getting rid of my splashes right now because they are not what I am wanting to breed for showing and my broody hen didn't like them. She only liked the blacks and very dark blues.

How was your Riverside summers these past 5 years? Our SGV weather has been drought conditions getting worse each year. We used to only get one or two weeks of severe 100+ temps and then the rest of summer it was hot but not heatwave brutal. THIS year our 90-100+ temps started end of May and lasted thru to Sept. I lost my lovely 11/2 yr-old Blue Breda and sweet 3-yr-old Blue Wheaten Ameraucana because of heat-related issues. Ameraucanas and EEs don't like heat but thrive much better in cooler climates. Our Breda was an exhaustive egg-layer and I'm sure the constant heat compromised her immune system. Watching our heavily under-downed Ameraucana suffer in our climate zone for 3 brutal summers I will not get another blue-egg bird unless our summers tame down - which have only been getting worse. Our water district started restricting our usage until we are now down to only 1x/week to water lawns. Most of our neighborhood has let their lawns go brown. I never had to water my yards before except for the raised veggie garden bed because we always had cool enough weather and morning dew, but not any more. We have pop-up canopy for shade, dog houses, lean-to shelters, water misters, wet ground for digging or sitting in, ice added to the Brite Tap nipple valve water jugs, watermelon and cold produce treats but only the fluffy airy "fur" of the Silkies tolerated our heatwave - tough little buggers!

How was your Riverside summers these past 5 years? Our SGV weather has been drought conditions getting worse each year. We used to only get one or two weeks of severe 100+ temps and then the rest of summer it was hot but not heatwave brutal. THIS year our 90-100+ temps started end of May and lasted thru to Sept. I lost my lovely 11/2 yr-old Blue Breda and sweet 3-yr-old Blue Wheaten Ameraucana because of heat-related issues. Ameraucanas and EEs don't like heat but thrive much better in cooler climates. Our Breda was an exhaustive egg-layer and I'm sure the constant heat compromised her immune system. Watching our heavily under-downed Ameraucana suffer in our climate zone for 3 brutal summers I will not get another blue-egg bird unless our summers tame down - which have only been getting worse. Our water district started restricting our usage until we are now down to only 1x/week to water lawns. Most of our neighborhood has let their lawns go brown. I never had to water my yards before except for the raised veggie garden bed because we always had cool enough weather and morning dew, but not any more. We have pop-up canopy for shade, dog houses, lean-to shelters, water misters, wet ground for digging or sitting in, ice added to the Brite Tap nipple valve water jugs, watermelon and cold produce treats but only the fluffy airy "fur" of the Silkies tolerated our heatwave - tough little buggers!

Wow. I've heard about the changing weather patterns over the few years on the west coast. The Southeast has been getting record highs lately too but our summers are so humid that it doesn't hurt plant life like it does out west. My Ameraucana stock was bred about two hours away by Susan Mouw so I like to think they are more tolerant of the local climate than birds bred elsewhere would be.

Back
Top Bottom