Ameraucana thread for posting pictures and discussing our birds

Except the Ameraucana cockbird and hens have to be the same color variety, otherwise crossing the colors (like wheaten to silver) will result in EE offspring...

Right. That part makes sense to me.

Not quite. They were all called Araucana. They did not all look like what we know of as an Araucana today. There was no consistency, they were basically what is considered Easter Eggers, today. The distinctions didn't even exists at all. Then a group of breeders started to selectively breed for traits seen in the Araucana breed of today. And they got those birds recognized as the Araucana breed. A different group of breeders, meanwhile, were selectively breeding for the traits seen in the Ameraucana, and got their birds recognized. But that left a large number of birds that didn't fit either standard. Easter Eggers are the origin, with the Araucana breed and the Ameraucana breed being derived from them. 

Ooooohhh. I didn't pick up on that part, now it makes better sense.

So, as we both thought, EE's are basically mutt chickens.
As we both thought Araucanas are a ''pure breed''. However, I didn't know where they originated, that is cool.
As I thought, Ameraucanas are a ''pure breed'' and not crosses, or random EEs, do I have it straight now?

Right. That part makes sense to me.
Ooooohhh. I didn't pick up on that part, now it makes better sense.

So, as we both thought, EE's are basically mutt chickens.
As we both thought Araucanas are a ''pure breed''. However, I didn't know where they originated, that is cool.
As I thought, Ameraucanas are a ''pure breed'' and not crosses, or random EEs, do I have it straight now?
The vast majority of Easter Eggers are hatchery sourced. These birds are not mixed breeds. They just haven't been selectively bred to meet a specific breed standard. They are still pretty much the same as they were when first imported to the U.S. They are more of a landrace type, rather than a proper breed.

The vast majority of Easter Eggers are hatchery sourced. These birds are not mixed breeds. They just haven't been selectively bred to meet a specific breed standard. They are still pretty much the same as they were when first imported to the U.S. They are more of a landrace type, rather than a proper breed.

They're as similar to a landrace as Production Reds are to Rhode Island Reds...

I strongly disagree with this statement. Hatcheries have crossed different production type birds into the easter egger lines and that is why there are so many laying brown eggs now. They are mixed breeds.

I strongly disagree with this statement. Hatcheries have crossed different production type birds into the easter egger lines and that is why there are so many laying brown eggs now. They are mixed breeds.
They've always had the ability to lay brown eggs. One of the origin group of birds in South America, used to develop them before they were ever imported where brown layers. It's not new, and it's not due to cross breeding.

Except the Ameraucana cockbird and hens have to be the same color variety, otherwise crossing the colors (like wheaten to silver) will result in EE offspring...

I dont think I can agree with this.
Breeders have been crossing colors forever. Its a way to improve type in a color that is lacking.
Without this option some varieties would be years and years behind where they are today.
I cant see saying that if you cross two colors of the same purebred birds then the offspring would not be pure. Not color pure but still breed pure.
So what if I crossed a wheaten with a silver then bred the offspring back to one of the parent colors and got back to that pure color?
Does that mean I turned ameraucanas into EEs then turned them back to ameraucanas?
People would be throwing a fit if I said I had pure ameraucanas that I used EEs to make or that EEs in their blood line.
To say I have ameraucanas that have EE parents but ameraucana grandparents doesnt seem to make as much sense as saying I have ameraucanas that i crossed colors to improve their type.

Maybe it's just the photos but your wheaten pullet looks a lot like my blue wheaten cockerels.

This wheaten "pullet" (3) is brighter coloured than my other two - which is what makes me think it may be a splash cockerel. The reason why I don't think it is a blue wheaten cockerel is because it looks nothing like the one i strongly think is a blue wheaten cockerel. This guy (4), has a colourful chest, whereas my wheaten 'pullet' has a cream coloured chest. Plus - the wheaten pullet does not have that beautiful blue colouring. I've added a couple more photos below.

I dont think I can agree with this.
Breeders have been crossing colors forever. Its a way to improve type in a color that is lacking.
Without this option some varieties would be years and years behind where they are today.
I cant see saying that if you cross two colors of the same purebred birds then the offspring would not be pure. Not color pure but still breed pure.
So what if I crossed a wheaten with a silver then bred the offspring back to one of the parent colors and got back to that pure color?
Does that mean I turned ameraucanas into EEs then turned them back to ameraucanas?
People would be throwing a fit if I said I had pure ameraucanas that I used EEs to make or that EEs in their blood line.
To say I have ameraucanas that have EE parents but ameraucana grandparents doesnt seem to make as much sense as saying I have ameraucanas that i crossed colors to improve their type.

Ah, but that's different... I was simply talking about that first cross, the F1 offspring from such a pairing... *most* Ameraucana breeders, if they cross varieties for improving in an area, don't sell from that line/pen until the crossbacks are breeding true again... or at least, if there are culls sold off during that time, *most* would not sell them as Ameraucanas but as EE's... or labeled 'Projects' for working with breeding for another that has use for it...

My point was, there was someone who bought and hatched a bunch of eggs from someone else that had true Ameraucanas... when they asked for help evaluating to decide on the cockerel to keep for breeding, they unfortunately discovered they had a bunch of EE's... a couple were to standard, but most were not... come to find out, the one they bought from wasn't aware that varieties should not (in general) be mixed together when bred... they had something like a blue wheaten cockbird over regular blues, blacks, splash, self blues and wheatens... resulting in most of what they hatched being a mishmash of colors...

My personal stance is, and I have seen it with many others, if it's got defects making it no good for breeding within my own program, then it is sold strictly as an EE... and explained why... if I would use it, but just have surplus, then it goes as an Ameraucana...

I have a question. My little guys are about 8 weeks old, and their feather colors are pretty different. One is fairly solid "blue" while the other is much lighter with a lot more "wheaten" in his plumage. Is this indicative of anything besides that they're just different shades? Will it reflect in their adult plumage? (They are Blue Wheatens, btw)

Dark Wilbur

Light Orville

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom