Ameraucana thread for posting pictures and discussing our birds

Hi! I just got a new chick. Parents are lavender Ameraucanas. The chick is black with black legs? I'm confused. So I am guessing I have an EE and there was leakage? Can someone explain how you get a black chick out of lavender parents?

If the parents are both lavenders they should produce 100% lavender. Lavender is a recessive gene and requires two copies of the gene to produce lavender birds. Some people use black ameraucanas in their lavender programs to improve type. That would involve created blacks split to lavender (birds that are visually black, but carry lavender). It is important to keep black splits separate from a pure black breeding program, as phenotypically they would look the same. Here is a lavender breeding chart:

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    65.5 KB · Views: 31
Here are a few photos of a splash wheaten cockerel and pullet. Not the best photos, but perhaps they will be of help.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    690.8 KB · Views: 30
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    616.2 KB · Views: 27
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    335 KB · Views: 28
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    190.4 KB · Views: 30
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    266.9 KB · Views: 29
The Ameraucana National Meet will be hosted by Michigan Poultry Fanciers at their Fowl Fest, October, 7th-8th, at the Birch Run Expo Center, just off I-75 in Birch Run, Michigan. Please make plans early to attend.
Between the "Specials" donated by our members and what our board of directors has agreed to, we will once again be offering well over $2,000 in awards at our 2017 Ameraucana National Meet!
Awards 2017 national.jpg

This lil lady was supposed to be a black australorp but now I'm wondering if I perhaps ended up with an Ameracauna instead? I figured you breed lovers would know best.

Attachments

• IMG_5310.JPG
    IMG_5310.JPG
    463.5 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_5317.JPG
    IMG_5317.JPG
    530.9 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_5319.JPG
    IMG_5319.JPG
    547.7 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_5320.JPG
    IMG_5320.JPG
    415.2 KB · Views: 21
yea some people have been saying my amerecauna look like a cockerel hmm
i will get her checked but when she was little she was the smallest out of all her sisters or his sister lol she is also very sweet but she could be a cockerele
Beautiful Easter Egger. Looking like Hazel may need a name change. Looking like a cockerel.

Back
Top Bottom