Ameraucana thread for posting pictures and discussing our birds

Oh, it says it's for egg production (which I know isn't essential for my cockerels). I have 3 barred rock roosters (5 months old) that have been on the same thing with no problems. What feed would you recommend?

I'm wondering if they have developed a vitamin deficiency...ive noticed that I have to put them in front of the feeder for them to eat. When I do, they gobble up the feed as if they haven't eaten in a while. I'm wondering if my older birds are not letting them eat? I scrambled some eggs and spinach and fed it to just them this morning. Going to try that for a few days and see if there is improvement. They are having a very hard time walking I have noticed today, very stiff legged, and flapping the wings. It's only the 2 cockerels. The pullet seems to be doing ok.

Attachments

• 20170815_091857.jpg
    20170815_091857.jpg
    560.8 KB · Views: 6
Oh, it says it's for egg production (which I know isn't essential for my cockerels). I have 3 barred rock roosters (5 months old) that have been on the same thing with no problems. What feed would you recommend?
They also say it's suitable for turkeys, quail, and other gamefowl. It most definitely is not.
Growing chickens need a feed with a protein content of at least 18% and a maximum calcium content of 2%. Anything that fits those parameters is fine.
I'm wondering if they have developed a vitamin deficiency...ive noticed that I have to put them in front of the feeder for them to eat. When I do, they gobble up the feed as if they haven't eaten in a while. I'm wondering if my older birds are not letting them eat? I scrambled some eggs and spinach and fed it to just them this morning. Going to try that for a few days and see if there is improvement. They are having a very hard time walking I have noticed today, very stiff legged, and flapping the wings. It's only the 2 cockerels. The pullet seems to be doing ok.
And yes, the other birds could be keeping them from the feeders. Multiple feeders may help. And start adding some vitamins to the water.

They also say it's suitable for turkeys, quail, and other gamefowl. It most definitely is not.
Growing chickens need a feed with a protein content of at least 18% and a maximum calcium content of 2%. Anything that fits those parameters is fine.

And yes, the other birds could be keeping them from the feeders. Multiple feeders may help. And start adding some vitamins to the water.
Ok, thanks so much for the suggestions! I will start looking for a replacement feed and get them on vitamins today!

I picked up these two beautiful birds today. They were classified as Amerucana pullets, however the lady said that the lighter one might be a cockerel (and if it is, she would exchange it for a female for me) but do they look like Amerucanas or are they something else? She said that they are eight weeks old.

IMG_6894.JPG
IMG_6902.JPG

IMG_6880.JPG

Thanks!
Jessica

I picked up these two beautiful birds today. They were classified as Amerucana pullets, however the lady said that the lighter one might be a cockerel (and if it is, she would exchange it for a female for me) but do they look like Amerucanas or are they something else? She said that they are eight weeks old.

View attachment 1112570View attachment 1112571
View attachment 1112569
Thanks!
Jessica
Easter Eggers. And the black and white is a male. That deep red through the shoulder/wing area is male specific. And they look like they are closer to 6 weeks old than 8 weeks.

Back
Top Bottom