Ameraucana thread for posting pictures and discussing our birds

Hello all. My Blue Ameraucana hen is a year old this month and she has stopped laying for about 6 weeks now. I got a beautiful light blue egg every other day from her. She has been molting as I can see new feather growth on her back and muff areas. Is this typical?

I notice that my EEs are better layers than the Ameraucana. I get 4 to 5 eggs a week from the EEs even with this heat of summer.

Thanks!

Hello all. My Blue Ameraucana hen is a year old this month and she has stopped laying for about 6 weeks now. I got a beautiful light blue egg every other day from her. She has been molting as I can see new feather growth on her back and muff areas. Is this typical?

I notice that my EEs are better layers than the Ameraucana. I get 4 to 5 eggs a week from the EEs even with this heat of summer.

Thanks!
It's very normal for hens to stop laying while molting. And yes, it's very common for Easter Eggers to be better producers than Ameraucana.

Question about EE's. Do you get an EE by crossing an Ameraucana with any other type of chicken? I have 1 blue Ameraucana roo and was considering trying to make EE's...sorry, I know this is an Ameraucana thread, not EE. :)

Question about EE's. Do you get an EE by crossing an Ameraucana with any other type of chicken? I have 1 blue Ameraucana roo and was considering trying to make EE's...sorry, I know this is an Ameraucana thread, not EE. :)
The vast majority of Easter Eggers are hatchery sourced. They are not mixed breeds and they have no Ameraucana blood in them at all. It was the hatchery type Easter Eggers that were used as the foundation of the recognized Ameraucana breed. There is an element of randomness in Easter Eggers that you would not have in a first generation Ameraucana cross. All offspring from your Blue Ameraucana rooster should inherit the gene for blue shells, regardless of the hens he's paired with. Offspring will also be more predictable in plumage coloring. He should produce either solid black or blue offspring.

IMG_9309.JPG

My sister gave me three bantams, less than 2 mo's old. They have black and white feathers on wings and feathers on legs.
Any idea what they are?

Back
Top Bottom